(Closed) 2013 Tax Question

posted 4 years ago in Legal
Post # 3
4046 posts
Honey bee

Whoever makes more will get the best tax benefit, from claiming the baby as a dependent. They should also file as Head of Household, which has lower rates than Single. (This from my mother, who is a retired accountant).

Post # 5
4046 posts
Honey bee

@alicewhite87:  No. You can’t file your taxes jointly unless you’re married; it’s actually called “marrried, filing jointly.” . Head of Household is frequently used by single parents. You are the HOH, with your baby claimed as the child to qualify you as the HOH. Your boyfriend files as a single person.

Post # 6
554 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

@alicewhite87:  I’m assuming you’re in the US? You can’t file joint unless your married. 

@PABride:  In general this is true, but there are other considerations like child care credits, etc. I’d advise the OP to consult an enrolled agent or CPA. Every situation is different. 

Post # 7
4046 posts
Honey bee

No problem. My mother (MBA, CMA, CPA) will no longer offer professional advice, on a public forum. Lesson learned.


Post # 8
38 posts
  • Wedding: November 2012

I would go through the tax programs online (I love Taxact online and have used them for years) once you get all your paperwork in to see what you’ll get as the biggest benefit. You can play around with the program and not file until you’re ready. I worked for a CPA for three years and we did this sort of thing with our tax program all the time. 

ETA: Like PP said, one will file as HOH and the other as single. In the US, you cannot file jointly unless you’re married. Also,  do you own a house? The interest might make it possible for you to itemize of you’re single which may end up being better than claiming HOH but the you do have the other tax credits to think about. 

Post # 11
1168 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

@alicewhite87:  You CAN file married even before you’re married if you live together and live in a state that recognizes common law marriages. I would speak with a professional before doing this though to see what other requirements your state may require such as joint checking accounts and intent to be married. 


The topic ‘2013 Tax Question’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors