(Closed) 2016 – Does anyone still walk down the aisle to the Wedding March?

posted 4 years ago in Music
  • poll: Do you think the Wedding March is old fashioned?

Yes

No

• Post # 2
    2624 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: April 2017 - Hogarths, Solihull

I’m walking down the Aisle to the Bridal March (Wagner) next year, and we’re exiting to the Wedding March (Mendelssohn)

I like the traditional music 🙂

Post # 3
    362 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: August 2015

I walked down the aisle to the Wedding March too. I got married in a Catholic Church and felt it very fitting. I like being traditional on things like that.

Post # 4
    1418 posts
    Bumble bee

I did!

Post # 5
    228 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: June 2017

I’m still deciding whether to walk down to the traditional wedding march! I was thinking it was outdated but it seems bees like it still!

Post # 6
    206 posts
    Helper bee

Wow, I didn’t know it was considered to be old fashioned.  All the recent weddings I have been to have had overall “trendy” or modern brides but still did the traditional march.  As others have said, maybe it is a bit of a religion thing, because most of those have been in Catholic churches.  Either way, I think it is fun to blend the more traditional with the modern!

Post # 7
    272 posts
    Helper bee

I didn’t think I would want to walk down the aisle to the Wedding March, but now that I’m planning I do! I’m having a string quartet for the ceremony, so I think it will sound really pretty. You should totally do it!

Post # 8
    2239 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: June 2015

I really didn’t want to, it seemed too traditional or stuffy or something. That was until I heard our harpist (we had a harpist, flutist and violinist play during our ceremony) play it during our meeting – I fell in love! 

Post # 9
    1219 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

We were traditional all the way down the aisle and I don’t regret it for a second, even if some call it old fashioned!

Post # 10
    1681 posts
    Bumble bee

I will…not due to my choosing but because that’s the only thing my church organist knows/offers lol. I like it though. Old fashioned yes, but in a good way!

Post # 11
    665 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: April 2015

Not trying to be rude, but it strikes me as so old-fashioned that I honestly didn’t know people still used it. I don’t recall it being used in any wedding I’ve been to, at least as an adult.

Perhaps it’s regional? I’m an East Coaster fwiw and mainly attend weddings from NY to Northern VA, with an occasional California wedding. Never been to a southern or midwestern wedding that I can recall.

Post # 12
    1199 posts
    Bumble bee

View original reply
    rosegoldcoloredglasses:  that’s really interesting to hear–I’m getting married in the Catholic Church, and our organist essentially refused to let us do that song as it has its roots in a secular opera and is actually not even from a wedding scene in the opera. We ended up going with a different song because he was so opposed and said that the church (our parish specifically I think) highly discourages it. 

Post # 13
    Hostess
    1711 posts
    Bumble bee

I’ve heard it at most weddings I’ve been to.  It is old fashioned, but in a good way.  I chose something else for my own wedding, because we were having an outdoors, casual wedding and it felt too formal for me, but it might be perfect for you!

Post # 14
    6947 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2015

View original reply
    chimene:  Do what you want to do, not what you think everyone else would expect.  If you love the marches, then go for it!  I didn’t b/c it didn’t suit my venue or personality.  But that’s totally okay – no one else here has admitted to coming in to a western movie theme song and probably thinks I was crazy.  I don’t even remember the music played at any weddings I’ve attended, but I’m sure at least some were traditional.

Post # 15
    362 posts
    Helper bee

View original reply
    liaeona:  Oh – I had no idea! I wouldn’t be surprised if most of our music had secular roots though except Ave Maria. Everything we chose was from our parish’s pre-selected list of options.

The topic ‘2016 – Does anyone still walk down the aisle to the Wedding March?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors