(Closed) 2016 Tip etiquette for vendors?

posted 4 years ago in Etiquette
Post # 2
1633 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2017

Generally a tip isn’t expected for someone who is the owner of the business, but you can give a little extra in appreciation of excellent service if you like.

I’ve never heard of tipping a pastor or other officiant. Is there no charge in your case because he/she is actually a personal pastor to you (from a church you attend)? Rather than someone you’re hiring from an officiating service? For a pastor I think a small gift of some sort would be a nice token of appreciation (depending on your relationship with that person and whether a gift would seem appropriate), or I’ve also heard of making a donation to their ministry or a charity they work with.

Post # 4
421 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2016

I did not tip vendors who owned their own businesses, but did tip the DJ and photographers’ assistants $50 each. I also gave our officiant a personalized gift, but he’s family. I’ve heard that it’s common to make a donation to the church if you have a religious officiant. 

Post # 5
1155 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

I don’t think you do percentages for things like DJ, photographers, etc. Like you said, that can add up REAL quick! 

My tentative plan is: 
Bartender $100/each
DJ $50
Photographer and assistant $50 each
Photo Booth attendant $25-50 ? We’ll see on the night what he or she is actually doing (helping, or just stand by in case there’s an issue?) 
Day of Coordinator (as part of the reception package): $50? 

Post # 6
596 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2017

Hello Bee, I wanted to follow this as I am curious about the pastor as well. Originally on the churchs website (not my home church as I am not getting married there) it stated there was a $500 fee for using the church, which I though not bad its like a donation. But they just recently update their website to say that on top of the $500 “The suggested honorarium for the minister is $300”. I am having a hard time swallowing this one but dont want to be cheap or rude.. Let us know how you end up tipping!

The topic ‘2016 Tip etiquette for vendors?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors