21-25 year old brides, annoyed with the your so young line yet??????

posted 9 years ago in 20 Something
Post # 32
3253 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Haha I totally feel the pain, ladies.

I worked at a grocery store when he and I first got engaged, and so many of my regular customers told me to wait or I would regret it! Um, I beg to differ! I’m almost 23 and I’ve been on my own since I was 18, not to mention the fact that my fiance was my best friend before we got together two years ago. I think I’m old enough to make decisions, thank you very much!

It’s just funny because people assume you have no idea what you are getting into!

Post # 32
3253 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Haha I totally feel the pain, ladies.

I worked at a grocery store when he and I first got engaged, and so many of my regular customers told me to wait or I would regret it! Um, I beg to differ! I’m almost 23 and I’ve been on my own since I was 18, not to mention the fact that my fiance was my best friend before we got together two years ago. I think I’m old enough to make decisions, thank you very much!

It’s just funny because people assume you have no idea what you are getting into!

Post # 33
1601 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

Really? I was barely 20 (3 days over) when I got engaged, and everyone I talked to was so supportive. The only person who asked anything different was my pastor, who took two seconds to go, “Are you sure this is what you want to do?” and right after he was all “I’M JOKING! SOOOO EXCITED FOR YOU GUYS!”

It might have to do with the fact that I look older than I am to people that don’t know me (people always guess I’m 25+), and the people who do know me know us as a couple and understand that we’re ready for this.

Post # 34
529 posts
Busy bee

@Angela83: Ha! I totally get carded, too. People ask if I’m old enough for my job! I will be 25 when I get married, and like others here, most of my friends are my age or older. I will have a graduate degree and will have been in the workforce (along with my FH) for several years at the time of our marriage. My parents had a real problem with this – and they were married at the exact same ages but reverse bride/groom (I’ll be 25, my FH will be 26). Your chances of getting divorced (statistically! I know this isn’t always the case) are cut in half if you wait until you are 25. We plan on waiting a few years to have kids, but with the average age of the bride in America being 27 and more and more of my friends focusing on careers, its hard to believe I would have been considered an “old maid” less than a generation ago!

Post # 35
313 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

@kms31690 – OMG that is APPAULING! I would go elsewhere, and send an angry letter to the salon owner. So rude and so unprofessional!

Post # 36
162 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: January 2010

@hermitcrab: That’s funny! I turned 25 the week after my wedding, too.

Tons of people have said things like this to me…friends, strangers, even some vendors!! A makeup artist at one of my trials was making fun of me for settling down so young. 

Post # 37
597 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2010

I am older (29) but my fiance is 25…he will be 26 when we get married. His parents used to go on and on and on about him being too young…but they have come to accept it now, somewhat.

Post # 38
2103 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: February 2013

I’m 24 and so is fiance. I’ve never gotten the “you’re too young” talk.

Maybe people figure since we’re not getting married until 2012, it’s not something worth mentioning? But, it’s still early in the engagement phase for us (4 months) so maybe it will start coming up when I talk to vendors and get more serious about planning.

Post # 39
11 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I am 23 and the Fiance will be 22 on our wedding day. We have received the “you’re so young” comment mostly from strangers.. the lady at the tuxedo shop, customers at work..

And from the family it’s the “it’s about time!” comments because we’ve been dating for over three years & everyone else in my family got engaged after just a year.

Oh well, I’m happy 🙂

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors