(Closed) 21 and under?

posted 8 years ago in 20 Something
Post # 3
540 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

I am 21. Waiting, but should be engaged before 22. Everyone who knows us is incredibally supportive and is just waiting for it to happen. With that being said we have been together 3 years, will have college degrees and secure jobs before we  tie the knot.

Post # 4
408 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

I’m engaged and I’m 20! Mostly everyone was happy for me, or seemed happy anyway! Of course when I told some people they said things like oh well you are so young, you should really go do this and see that and travel the world and whatever. I’m happy and I’m old enough to know what I’m doing, I’ve got my shit together haha. But if you know it’s what you want and you know who you want to be with, I say go for it. Age is just a number.

Post # 5
4765 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: January 2011 - Vintage Villas

I’m 21! I’ll be 22 when we get married.

To be honest, we haven’t had many naysayers or any shocked comments from anyone. We’ve been dating for over 4 years and everyone kind of just knew it was coming. We’re waiting until I have graduated college (he’s getting his masters, so he’ll have another year), so we haven’t really had anyone say we’re getting married too soon. 🙂

Post # 6
1148 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2011

I’m engaged and will be married before I’m 21. Mostly I just ignore naysayers, because the ones that have said anything to my face wouldn’t be happy no matter how old I was. They don’t know me, my situation, or my Fiance and they happen to be the ones who are jaded by their experiences. That said, we were pressured to wait by some family members. We had a long engagement for ourselves and it’s been enough to quiet anyone with anything bad to say.

Post # 7
664 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2011

I’m 20 now, will be 21 by the wedding, and everyone seemed legitimately happy for me! Actually, I’m one of the last ones in my group of friends to get married! I think the main reason people have been supportive of my Fiance and is because a) we have been together for almost 4 years and they see how much we really love each other and b) because we are financially stable and are both very responsible and they know that we’ll be able to support ourselves. I think it’s more about maturity and not so much age. I personally feel very lucky to have found my soulmate (as cheesy as it sounds) at such a young age! Just ignore any naysayers :]

Post # 8
283 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I’m 20.  We’re getting married the day before I turn 21.  I’ve had some good reactions and some bad.  I had our ex-best man say that we’re “wasting our youth”.  I was like, “actually, I still intend to enjoy my youth, but when I’m ready to slow down and start a family I’ll already be a step ahead of you.”  F-ing people drive me nuts.

@stbMohror, I LOATHE the “travel the world” thing. It’s not like I’m gonna die after the wedding!! I can’t still travel once I have a new name and another ring on my finger?? And I’ve heard that one or other ones like it so many times.

Lol.  I’m gonna stop before I get on a roll here.

Post # 10
Hostess
18643 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

I was 19 when I was engaged and my husband was 20.  We didn’t get married until we were 21/22

Post # 11
1602 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

i’m 19, 20 in 13 days.

i’m waiting, but N has promised me an engagement this year, and i’ll be married by 21. he’ll be 22.

for us, naysayers weren’t really a problem, because we’re both religious and it’s very common for people to marry young in our community. that being said, my mom isn’t a christian, and for her she wanted us to wait until N is finished school. i’ll be done when we’re married, but his program is like, 2 years longer than mine, so that wasn’t going to happen.

Post # 12
2767 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

not me, but this post reminds me of that MTV show Engaged and Underaged.

Post # 13
5498 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

I just turned 21. I only got a few naysayers since it’s the norm around this area. Mostly I just try to ignore them and focus on the good.

Post # 14
1602 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

@anariem – i LOVE that show. although granted a lot of the couples on there are REALLY immature in their relationships (IMO). but that’s probably what makes the show so good 😛

Post # 15
225 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

Im 21 aand he’s 25 and we are engaged.. Everyone was soo happy for us when they found out that we were getting married.. We have not gotten not even “why so early? ” We have been together for 4 1/2 years when he proposed so it was more of like “FINALLY!” Im so glad that everyone support us

Post # 16
2196 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: January 2013

I’m 21, though I’ll be 23 when I get married.  I too do not get the “travel the world” thing.  How many young people DON’T travel the world but aren’t chastised for not having traveled the world if they get married later, say at thirty?  FI and I fully intend to do a lot of traveling and know we’ll make enough money to support that sort of lifestyle (and hell, I’ll be doing my field work in grad school in West Africa).  Why travel alone, which can be dangerous, when you can share the experience with someone you love, and be safer while doing it?  I’m sorry but I don’t think people should travel the world just for the glorified “study abroad” experience so many college students do, where for six months or a year or whatever they live in a hostel, cut off their hair, and go clubbing every night and maybe contract an STD while taking a few throwaway credits at a university, socializing mostly with other English-speaking study abroad students and never actually interacting with people in the country they’re visiting enough to stop exotifying them.  Yep, sounds reeeeaaal transformative. Undecided 

There are some people who will never accept that you aren’t “throwing away your youth” or something similarly dramatic, ridiculous, and over-simplistic, just because they themselves weren’t ready to marry at a young age.  That attitude is what shows real immaturity.  Ignore them, and enjoy spending several more years than the average woman married to the man you love.

The topic ‘21 and under?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors