(Closed) 21 and under?

posted 11 years ago in 20 Something
Post # 77
8 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: November 2011

well, i’m 16 and the Fiance is 19! needless to say, we get alot of “WTH!” reactions from people. we’re going to marry soon after i turn 18 though, so we’re a month into a 1.7 year engagement. (i really really hope it goes by quickly!) the wedding is just going to be family and friends, and after the tear jerking, “lovey dovey” church ceremony we’re gonna party hearty, but i think this will be the only alcohol free wedding any of the guests will ever attend… ;]

& for the record, i love weddingbee! everything under the sun is on this website, its a dream come true :p

Post # 78
59 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

We got engaged at 18/20 and married 9 months later at 19/20. A few weeks after the wedding, DH turned 21 and I turn 20 next week. We’re from Kentucky, so it’s fairly normal here to get married young. The naysayers tended to be people our age who said we were missing out on partying and being single through our college years. The funny thing is that if you’re confident in your relationship and don’t try too hard to defend it, the naysayers often come around as they see more of your relationship. Being married young was the right choice for us. I think if you really trust your heart, you will know if you’re ready. I started college when I was 16 so I had already had time to be on my own, support myself financially, etc. etc. My advice to young brides is to listen to your heart.. If it’s nagging you now that you haven’t had enough dating experience other than your SO or if things don’t seem to be falling into place, don’t push it. If it is meant to be, it will happen on its own and seem effortless. I also think young brides should go to college or live on their own for a while before getting hitched, because it really helps you to get to know yourself and become more confident and self sufficient so that you can really contribute to a mature, adult mairrage. Premarital counseling was also a great way to obtain the communication tools needed to “beat the odds” of getting married young. It also affirmed that our relationship was strong enough to become a successful mairrage.

Post # 79
2142 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

20/23 engaged 21/24 when married (he will be a few weeks shy of 25)

There have been a few who have gotten a bit snippy about it but most of those are people I would rather not have in my life anyway (the majority are ones who have had no luck in relationships). A couple people who we know have gotten married recently (from different parts of the country) so it’s not too unusual.

It helps that while FH and I look exceptionally young, most people who do not know me in the context of my year in college assume I am FH’s age and only at Baylor for my MA.

Post # 80
869 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2011

I am 21 and he is 22 and we will be the same on our wedding day. We have been together for 3 years now, got engaged almost 2 years ago, and the only people who object at all are in my family. None of them think he will stick around but we just recently had a baby and he’s been around for that so why not when we are married? I just ignore them and don’t even really talk to them much. If they don’t approve they shouldn’t come to the wedding. End of story.

Post # 81
2 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: September 2011

@hsaas91:

I am 21. Most of my friends and family are very excited. It was a FINALLY moment. We have been together since we were 16 and very solidly together, not breaking up and getting back together every two months that is so common with our generation. Its mostly my vendors that are shocked when I say I’m the one getting married. But like I read in other posts, we know we are supposed to be together so we are happy. =)

Post # 82
4605 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

I’m 20, and plan to get married the month after I turn 22, but we’ll see. My Fiance is currently 21, and will be almost 23 when we get married.

Post # 83
2819 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2013

We got engaged when we were 18 (promise ring on my 17th birthday, if you count that). Right now we’re both 20, but we’re not getting married until we graduate from university (another 1-2 years, so a 3-4 year engagement altogether). : ( So long!

Post # 84
2819 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2013

In regards to naysayers, there weren’t too many in our families (his was actually better about it than mine!)…like a lot of other posters, they saw it coming. They did, however, chime in with concern about whether or not I was going to finish university. I was all “Well DUH! We’ve been planning to get engaged for 3 years! Like I would’ve applied in the first place if I didn’t intend to finish?!”, and they stopped. (My dad also wanted us to wait until we graduated to get married, so we are for financial reasons. Le sigh.)

If I get comments from other people (i.e. I say “my fiance” and they go “you’re engaged?! how old are you?!”), I just joke that “Don’t I know it — I wasn’t going to date until I finished my PhD!”, and that usually quiets them down. : )

(And honestly? You get used to it after a while, and I’ve even started to like the reaction.)

Post # 85
5 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2011

When you KNOW, you KNOW. I do not fall into the 21 and under status as I am 28 now. However, I do relate. This is my 3rd engagement…. seriously ladies! I have had only 3 serious relationships. My first one lasted 4 years, and I loved him with all my heart, but we were young (it ended when I was 18 b/c I didnt want to be “tied down”). My second lasted 4 years (seems to be my limit – haha) – And I really really saw myself marrying that guy! We we engaged for only 4 months – then he hit me. After being with him for 4 years, he thought he could put his hands on me. It ended badly for him though – as I am no longer in his life.

And then I met my Fiance – and let me tell you that those first two engagements couldnt have been more wrong! I have finally found my soulmate, my best friend, and the love of my life. We have been together for almost 5 years and living together for 4 and half of those years. People seem to be excited for us, for the most part. The support is not there though – however that is another post in itself.

Younger Bees- If you are happy, then be happy. Those who make the rude remarks, do not pay your bills and do not sleep in your bed at night. If your heart is telling you that everything is perfect, then let it be perfect! No one said the ones with the rude comments had to be invited to the wedding……. and traveling with an SO is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much more fun!!!!

Good Luck Bees!

Post # 86
171 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

Fiance and I are 20 now and we will be 22 when we get married. Both of our families are very supportive and happy for us. Before we even got engaged, we assured them that we would wait until after I graduated from college to get married (FI is already finished with college and starting his career; he graduated from culinary school earlier this year). I think they were glad to hear that waiting until after graduation to get married is just as important to us as it is to them.

Post # 87
256 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

I fit into this category. We will both be 18 on the wedding day. We have gotten a lot of comments from people we don’t know about us being too young, but we ignore them. We both come from successful high school sweetheart homes. I am a third generation and he is a second. We have been together for over three years and we know that it is going to be harder, but we know that we love each other and that we want to spend the rest of our lives together through all the hardships. His side of the family is a little more supportive of the relationship, but my intermediate family and two out of three of my sides are very supportive. 

We both plan on going to college and getting a degree and waiting years to have children! 🙂

He’s my best friend.Laughing

Post # 88
2088 posts
Buzzing bee

I’m 19 and SO is 20, almost 21. We’re not engaged yet, but we’ll be 20 and 22 when we get married in 2012.

Post # 89
1766 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

View original reply
@Gingersnap: We’re pretty much in the same boat! I’m 19 and my SO will be 21 in March. We are coming up on our 4 year anniversary this February. We talk about getting engaged pretty often, but I don’t think we’ll actually get engaged until later in 2011 since we’re both semi-poor college students.

But no matter when we actually get engaged, we won’t be married until summer of 2014 (right after I graduate). With me going to school 45 minutes away, it’s just a lot easier for us that way.

When all is said and done, I will probably be 20 and he will probably be 21 when we get engaged, and when we get married I will be 22 and he will be 24. Although by that point, we will have been together for SEVEN years!

As far as traveling… I can’t stand when people assume things about relationships they know nothing about! I plan to go to Nicaragua for a a week this spring, and spend a whole semester in Peru in spring of 2012. And my SO and I have plans to travel all over Europe when we actually have some money (as some one else said: let’s face it, who has that kind of money in their early 20’s?) For us, getting married doesn’t mean “settling down” right away- it means loving, supporting, and sharing life with my best friend!

Post # 90
429 posts
Helper bee

HEY! I’m 21 and waiting 🙁

Blahh

o were o were is my stunner ring ! i miss u and havent even met you ! 

Post # 91
429 posts
Helper bee

View original reply
@amariem25: cuz of yu i no what ima be hooked on this month ! thnxx

The topic ‘21 and under?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors