(Closed) 22 and Scared (long, kind of gross)

posted 6 years ago in Wellness
Post # 3
121 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

That sounds awful. I don’t really have any suggestions for you other than revisit your doctor if you feel you aren’t getting the answers/treatment you deserve. Sometimes you have to be your own advocate and fight for answers.

Is the problem the cyst? Should you have that surgically removed?

ETA: Just read what PCOS is. I’m not familiar with it. But I do have endometriosis. I have had to really fight to find great doctors. Don’t settle for anything less.

Post # 4
334 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2013

I can’t give you any medical advice, and do not have PCOS myself, but my first inclination is for you to shop around for a gynecologist with whom you feel really comfortable. It took me years to find a gyno that I love, and now that I have her, I cannot imagine working with anyone else. It will be important for you to find a gyno who is willing to sit with you and patiently answer all of the questions you have about this problem. I would encourage you to type out all of your questions and bring them with you to the appointment. This sounds scary and frustrating and a good, warm, and supportive doctor can make a world of difference.

Post # 5
1042 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2013

Does your current doctor spend a lot of time answering your questions and asking questions? If not, I suggest going to a different doctor or NP. Keep looking until you find one who makes time for you. That’s the only way you will get these problems resolved.

Post # 7
1844 posts
Buzzing bee

I had ovarian cysts throughout college and had to get several surgically fixed leaving me with only one ovary now. They are not fun to go through, and I don’t know much about PCOS, but I do know that once I found a good doctor (who is actually a PA in my case) Who I love and is patient with me and answers my rediculious questions all the time it got a lot easier. It sounds like your Dr is only giving you one option and you are not comfortable with it. I don’t know much about medicine, but I do know that there is always more than one way to solve a problem and it sounds like you need someone who is willing to help you problem solve. If there is any way for you to go to a new Dr I would get thier second opinion before you do anything you aren’t comfortable with. Maybe there is a low dose option, maybe something else will work, who knows, you just have to ask the right questions. 

Post # 8
1042 posts
Bumble bee

@NaijaPuertoDorian:  Are you sure you couldn’t afford a Woman’s Health Nurse Practitioner or Midwife? They are much cheaper than doctors a lot of the time (not always). Although, I’m sure you know your insurance policys and pricing.

Also, are you sure BC brings up your risk for breast cancer? From everything I’ve heard it lowers the risk. I could be wrong about that though.

Post # 10
2866 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

Well you can’t exactly continue to live the way you are now- in pain and bleeding for weeks on end. I’ve had cysts before and they are best controlled by BCP. You need to visit with a Dr. who is going to educate you because you seem to be going off of internet gleaned knowledge and fear which is not the way to treat your health. I don’t mean that ugly, but it seems silly to not take BCP because you heard it might up your chances of cancer. If taking BCP= breast cancer would the millions of women who use it be using it? Of course not.

Post # 12
1042 posts
Bumble bee

@NaijaPuertoDorian:  Can you travel further away to see a different doctor? I mean, there has got to be more than one doctor your insurance pays for, right? If not that really stinks. Pester the crap out of ’em until you figure this thing out.

Post # 13
1309 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

Have you looked into medication such as Metformin? My friend who has PCOS took the Icelandic version of this and it has really helped her cycle and has made her feel better.

I would also think that the cyst would have to be removed my surgery.

Post # 14
3886 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

If you’re in the US, you may want to visit your local Planned Parenthood as their gyn visits are priced on a sliding scale to be more affordable to those with financial hurdles. Even if you don’t qualify for discounted pricing, their rates are quite reasonable, and they have access to some alternative treatment information that other doctors might not, since they’re funded by donations (frequently from researchers).

Post # 16
1431 posts
Bumble bee

See an acupuncturist! They can help with PCOS, fibroids, ovulation, regulating cycles ect. Look up one that specialized in womens health issues. I see one for endometriosis. Ive never had long periods before EXCEPT before my wedding (stress?) i was bleeding for 2 weeks  with no signs of letting upwanted to cry because I didn’t want my period for my wedding and honeymooon. I went to her a few days before my wedding. did acupucture and some herbs and my period stopped the next day.

The topic ‘22 and Scared (long, kind of gross)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors