(Closed) 22 Day Cycle… can I get pregnant?

posted 4 years ago in TTC
Post # 2
2201 posts
Buzzing bee

View original reply
journeyintime :  Did you just come off the pill?  I wouldn’t get worried about just one cycle.  Looking at your chart, I also think its possible you ovulated at more like CD 11 which would make your luteal phase a bit longer. 

Post # 4
9799 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2013

Cycle before I got pregnant with #2 was 24 days. Though mine were normally 24-26 days. My luteal phase was normally 9-10 days, maybe due to extended breastfeeding I think.  Normally O’d CD 15 or 16.  I got pregnant easily enough with #2 despite that.

Post # 5
2141 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2017

you need to chart for at least 3-6 months to have any idea of cycle, you could be irregular or just have an off month

but for the record cycle length doesnt greatly matter but rather LP length (the time between ovulation and period) in a ‘standard’ cycle there is 2 weeks between period and ovulation and 2 week between ovulation and period but this varies from person to person, you need minimally 7 days to inplant and produce progesterone less than that and you wont get pregnant (unless its ectopic) the average person takes 10-12 days (you could ovulate on CD 5 and have a 11 day LP = 16 day cycle and get pregnant, however the short the LP the less chance of concieving) to implant so less than 12 days LP is when you should start to worry although its still possible to concieve on less, a doctor can prescribe progesterone if that is an issue but you need to chart or be monitored much more to work that out

Post # 6
2852 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

View original reply
journeyintime :  Technically anyone with their regular LP falling under 10 days in length is considered to have a luteal phase defect, meaning that their luteal phase may be too short to allow enough time for a fertilized egg to implant before menses starts. I’ve been on the TTC pages of the Bee for 5 years now though, and I’ve seen LOTS of women get pregnant and maintain a pregnancy with a 9-day luteal phase. Have you just come off any hormonal birth control? That could have an effect on your cycle as your body adjusts. Is this your first cycle charting? A luteal phase defect is usually because of hormonal imbalances – usually a lack of progesterone.

When your ovarian follicle releases the egg at ovulation it dies and becomes the corpus luteum, which produces and releases progesterone as it dies. The progesterone keeps your menses away long enough to allow the egg a chance to fertilize and implant, and if you have a fertilized egg creating HCG, the HCG triggers the corpus luteum to continue to produce progesterone thereby keeping menses away until the placenta forms and takes over progesterone production, about 8 weeks into pregnancy. So progesterone maintains the pregnancy’s safety, and the HCG created by the egg maintains the corpus luteum so it keeps producing progesterone. With a luteal phase defect it’s sometimes because your corpus luteum isn’t producing a lot of progesterone, but with most women the stimulating effect of the HCG from a fertilized egg will be enough for it to sort of buck up and do its job. Some women need to supplement with progesterone though, if their numbers are falling a little short.

So….if you’ve tried for a few cycles (I’d say 6) and your LP is continually under the 10-day mark, and you haven’t gotten pregnant, it may be worth your time to check in with your doc and have 7DPO bloodwork done to check your levels to see if your doc feels you need to supplement. You could also try taking B6 and B12 supplements, or a B-50/B-100 complex through your cycle to try to lengthen your LP – I’ve seen that work with quite a few women, giving them an extra day or so. 

I wouldn’t worry too much about it though in the first few months – like I said, I’ve seen LOTS of women with LP defects get pregnant and have no issues with maintaining that pregnancy. You also had a successful pregnancy before, so that’s a good sign. GL hon!

Post # 7
2168 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception/The Gallery

I wouldn’t worry yet, give it some time. If the short luteal phase is worrying you though, you may eventually want to try Chaste Berry (Vitex) supplements. It brought my LP from 8 days to 12/13 and now I’m 5 weeks pregnant, so I guess it helped! 

Good luck!

The topic ‘22 Day Cycle… can I get pregnant?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors