(Closed) 22 wks Preggers DH wants a kitten

posted 6 years ago in Pets
Post # 3
3569 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

It depends in my experience cats are much more low maintenance then dogs.

We had a cat growing up, and it was a total bitch. We would go days without seeing it as she like to go under things, and we only know she around because she ate. Once in a while she allow people to stroke her, but I also still have scars because I tried to pick her up and she strach me so badly.

It really depends on the cat. They are more self suffient and tend to do less damage then dogs when left alone. So we could go on vacation and having someone stop by every other day to change the litter and make sure she had enough water and food.

Post # 4
8738 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2011

Cats are usually very easy keepers. Are these orphaned kittens? Or is mama cat around? Cats are naturally clean animals and are usually litter trained by their mothers.

As for training, there isn’t a lot you can do. Keep doors closed of rooms you don’t want them in and have a squirt bottle so if he starts to scratch something you don’t want him to or get on a counter where he isn’t supposed to be you can give him a quick squirt. 

As for scratching, since you are getting hin as a kitten, just handle his paws regularly so it  is easy to work with  him when you need to trim nails. You could also look into softpaws claw caps if he is scratching a lot.

I grew up with both cats and dogs (my parents had 2 cats when I was born) and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

As long as you follow your midwife’s advice as far as what you should and shouldn’t touch I think a kitten would be just fine.

Post # 5
1686 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Haha. Train a cat.

Regarding the litterbox thing, what you’re worried about is toxoplasmosis. It’s not  usually a problem with indoor cats, but if they’re being kept outside it could be. You can get a test done at the vet’s to see if they have it before you make any decisions.

If you love the idea, I think you guys should do it. I love our cats so much. They are such funny little fur people. 🙂 

Post # 6
10453 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2014

Get one! Cats are amazing. I grew up with them my entire life. My parents tell me stories of how they would sleep in my crib sometimes during the day. 

Cats are super low maintenance. They just sleep all day whn you’re gone. Then sleep more in the evenings and again at night. Haha. As kittens they will play but if you don’t have time every single night they can entertain themselves pretty well. I do play with my boy a lot but I don’t have kids… However if I’m busy cooking dinner or something he will just play with his toys in the same room. 

Post # 7
2907 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

While grownup cats can be pretty low maintenance, kittens are pretty high maintenance – they have a lot of energy and need a lot of play time! I volunteer with an animal shelter, and we always suggest that people adopt kittens in pairs. I know two cats sounds like more work than one, but it’s actually less – they’ll play with each other, so you have to play with them less. That said, kittens do still need a lot of active play time, and you should make sure they have plenty of toys and a cat condo or window seat and scratching post so they can climb up and play around and redirect their scratching to the post rather than your furniture. 

You could also adopt an older cat if you’re concerned about the time involved in raising a kitten (or two). With an older cat, you’ll already know their personality – are they mellow or active? Quiet or loud? Affectionate or standoffish? Kittens are more of a crapshoot. 

Post # 8
883 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

cats are easy, compared to dogs.  Mine is 14 and pretty much when I got her (her mother was a stray that had her litter in my parents back yard) showed her the box, and the training was over.  She only climbs where she shouldn’t when there is something that piques her interest (flowers on a table that weren’t there). Squirting is a good way to keep a cat away from where you don’t want them, as well as closing off doors.

Right now she is “bonding” with my fiance’s 11 year old cat(both spayed females)…going pretty well, only one hissing and spitting event….she even found a “hiding” place…in our new sink in the powder room….

Post # 9
9142 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 2013 - St. Augustine Beach, FL

Cats are easy to train (I literally put a paper plate with litter in the cage with wild 3 week old kittens I found and they knew just what to do.)  Also, cats typically aren’t bothered by long hours alone at home.  The main issue would be the litterbox and so long as he understands he has to clean it, I don’t really see an issue.

Keep scratching posts/boxes for the kitten and show them how to use it.  My cat never clawed up my furniture but I replaced a cardboard scratcher every few months to encourage him to scratch the cardboard instead of my furniture (he did claw up the bottom of the couch but nobody can see that.)  Worst case scenario you can get them declawed and although I know a lot of people find it inhumane (so did I) it saved my sanity after I got clawed playfully in the face one too many times.  Start out clipping your cats claws early to avoid having to even consider this and never get a cat declawed if you let it go outside because his claws are his protection.

As far as keeping them out of the nursery or any room in the house it shouldn’t be too difficult with the door closed and while you’re home but cats have a tendency of exploring and when you’re not home they will go pretty much wherever they like.  It didn’t bother me except for when the cat would get in the kitchen and on my counters.  I know cats are clean but I don’t particularly like the taste of cat fur in my mouth and I found keeping the cat out of the kitchen significantly cut down on this happening.

Post # 10
11234 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

Get one! I love my kitties.

You can’t train a cat. Sorry, it doesn’t work that way. They can learn to use the box (it’s basically ingrained into them now), and you can discourage scratching on furniture, etc. by encouraging it on scratching posts and things. Our little kitty likes to claw the carpet, but she’s dumb. Aside from needing to be fed/have the box cleaned/snuggle/want to be pet, cats are very self-sufficient. 

@KatNYC2011:  +1 to everything you said about claws, etc. Our cats have their claws. The little one NEVER uses them on us. The big one is another story, but we got him as a partially feral adult. He will use his claws on us, but we’ve learned to read is moods and cover our hands if we want to play. He’s getting much better, and honestly, it’s not at all his fault. He makes up for it by loving to be in laps and being super cute. 

This morning, he was snuggled up to FI’s chest when I woke up and it was so cute.

Post # 12
246 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2016

Don’t get me wrong–I love cats.  But kittens are way more work than full grown cats.  They require more attention and make more mistakes.  Plus their temperment isn’t fully set until they are an adult cat.  We raised my mom’s cat from the time he was a baby (he’s now 7) and my parents say it was almost as hard as raising us.

Since you have a baby coming you might want to consider going to your local shelter and getting a cat that a year old or older.  They will probably already be litter trained and will be up to date on their shots.  Kittens have lots of vet appointments–kind of like human babies.  With a full grown cat at the shelter they will already be able to tell you if the cat is good with kids and they will be more mellow.  Besides, kittens have a way better chance of being adopted than a cat.  I recommend checking out petfinder online.  My fiance got his 10 month old cat/kitten from a local shelter and she’s still a handful.

As for the litterbox, just to be on the safe side, you SO should do it while you are pregnant. 

Post # 13
2607 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

While grownup cats can be pretty low maintenance, kittens are pretty high maintenance – they have a lot of energy and need a lot of play time!

THIS!  OP, I don’t think now is a good time for you to get a kitten.  They are a lot of work.  They have a lot of energy, and they have a tendency to use their claws for everything until they learn otherwise.  For example, they aren’t very good at jumping at first, so they climb up your leg instead.  Often kittens will play with their claws out as well.  Like the above poster mentioned, they have a lot of energy and need a lot of play time…time you may not have to devote to them once your baby arrives.  And if they have energy that isn’t being burned off constructively, it will be burned off DESTRUCTIVELY.  Having a kitten home alone all day is a recipe for having your couch and your drapes destroyed.

@vorpalette:  You can’t train a cat. Sorry, it doesn’t work that way.

Our family cat (who still lives with my parents) knows how to sit, lay down, beg, and meow on command.  DH and I are teaching our current cat how to sit for her food bowl.  I will admit it’s slow going, because she’s not the brightest bulb, (despite us stepping on her several times -accidentally of course!- she still insists on getting underfoot), but she does do it, just not instantly like the dog does.  Cats CAN be trained, it’s just harder because many/most of them don’t have that inherent desire to please their person that the majority of dogs have.  Many cats respond amazingly well to target and/or clicker training.  

You probably will not be able to teach them to stay out of the nursery, however, especially because cats can easily scale or jump over barries like baby gates, (which work well in teaching a dog which room(s) are off limits.  Unless you’re planning on keeping the door closed at all times, I don’t see this happening.   Another reason that now is probably not a good time to add a furry family member.  You will have a baby making noises, which will pique a cat’s curiousity.  You will have interesting sights, sounds, and smells coming from the room.  You will likely be spending a fair amount of time in the room yourself, which is another draw.  Plus, a cat’s concept of territories and boundries and space sharing seems to be different than that of dogs. 

Wait until your baby is a bit older, then look for an adult cat that is known to be good with kids.  A kitten can come later, when you have the time and energy to devote to it, and your child can safely handle a kitten without causing it accidental harm.

Lastly, PLEASE make sure Mama Cat is spayed and Brother Cat is neutered.  First, it’s not good for them to be continually reproducing, for the sake of Mama’s health as well as for the sake of the overpopulation problem.  Also, the fact that Brother Cat is still hanging around means their is a good possibility he will be the father of all/some of Mama Cat’s future litters, if he isn’t already, (plus, he will be making babies with any other female he can find to breed with).  Many places have programs that will spay strays for little or no cost.  Better yet, have Mama Cat and Brother Cat brought to a shelter where they can be fixed, vaccinated, and can find loving homes of their own, if your Mother-In-Law isn’t willing to make them pets of her own.

Post # 15
3626 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I didn’t read any of the replies. Sorry! Anyway, when we got our cat, she was two, and she’s really needy! She always wants to sit on our laps and sleep on our pillows. I imagine a kitten would be even more needy. I would just hate to have to spend less time with the kitten when the baby arrived since the kitten is a baby too. Obviously your baby is more important, I just wouldn’t want the kitty to feel neglected.

Post # 16
1686 posts
Bumble bee

@Miss Apricot:  

Darling Husband and I are teaching our current cat how to sit for her food bowl. 

“Our cat is teaching Darling Husband and I how she sits when she wants her food bowl.”

FTFY. 🙂 

The topic ‘22 wks Preggers DH wants a kitten’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors