(Closed) 2/23 wedding, just received vows and I HATE them!

posted 5 years ago in Ceremony
  • poll: Should I say anything?
    Yes! It's my wedding! : (82 votes)
    99 %
    No, it really doesn't matter in the long run : (0 votes)
    No, its not worth causing problems. : (1 votes)
    1 %
  • Post # 3
    1257 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2013

Why were you not given the opportunity to decide on or/and give imput into your vows? That is odd IMO.

Post # 4
    1311 posts
    Bumble bee

Our officiant who is a Revrend had given us a choice on how religious we would want the ceremony to be.

If you are not comfortable then say something.

Post # 5
    6256 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: March 2014

I officiate weddings, and I always ask people “Do you want God, or no God?” If he is a member of the clergy, he might have just assumed you wanted God, but I would definitely talk to him and le him know if your vows aren’t at all to your liking and don’t reflect your beliefs. I can see this being one of those things you may regret for a long time if you don’t.

Post # 6
    6207 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: August 2013 - The Liberty House

I would just call the officiant and ask if you can change the vows. If you didn’t specify a preference from the beginning, he probably just sent you his standard ones. BTW did you ask any questions about how the rest of the ceremony would go?

Post # 8
    67 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

Does the officiant know your religion? If not, he may have made an “honest” mistake, but if he DOES know your deist, then I’d be calling him up asap!

Post # 11
    2426 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

We had a religious officiant and he gave us a draft of ceremony and let us edit what we wanted (within reason). For instance, I didn’t want to say obey/serve/etc, so he just took it out. There was something else too, I don’t remember what. It shouldn’t be a big deal to change it, and if he won’t get a new officiant.

Post # 12
    2616 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

our officient gave us three different options-presbrytrian,lutheran,evangical of how their ceremonies go, we picked and choose for all three…

Post # 13
    3769 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: February 2013

@BluePeaches:  Ew, I’m Catholic and those words sound too stiff even by Catholic standards….

Post # 14
    6124 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: August 2012

@BluePeaches:  I was fine tuning our ceremony with the officiant just a week before the ceremony!  I just edited it how I wanted and that was it!

Post # 15
    206 posts
    Helper bee

I would definitely say something.  It seems like if you don’t it may be something you regret looking back on things. 

The topic ‘2/23 wedding, just received vows and I HATE them!’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
    I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors