(Closed) "23 hilarious hipster wedding trends that need to stop…"

posted 3 years ago in Reception
Post # 16
1592 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2017

I agree with some but lolly buffets and chocolate fountains are AWESOME. I love seeing those.

Post # 17
7642 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

Trends that need to stop:

1. Judgemental articles criticising other people’s weddings.

2. Articles with two pages per dot point, i.e. 46 page views to see the whole thing.

Post # 18
757 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

Yes, trends are trends and do get over-used, but most people (including myself) are not creative gurus and can’t actually pull off an elaborate and completely unique affair.

I do however agree that some trends are not really nice. Like implying that the groom doesn’t want to get married or sexualising kids. Both are not funny, both are not OK

Post # 19
3876 posts
Honey bee

So they don’t like cake, cupcakes, donuts, chocolate fountains, lolly buffets or macaroons. WHY DO YOU HATE DESSERT??

Post # 20
1633 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2017

nonablu :  Yeah, I’m not sure you can trust someone who doesn’t seem to like any dessert. 😄 I couldn’t get through the whole slideshow but thought the candy bar criticism was so contrived. “You don’t need it”??

Post # 21
3876 posts
Honey bee

GreenGables :  Right, we don’t need a lot of things that are awesome! I think the macaroons one said something like ‘these are just so done’ ummm no, macaroons are not done. MACAROONS ARE FOREVER

Post # 22
983 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2017

I agree with him on the bouquet/garter toss but everything else seems like a petty gripe based on, it’s been done before. Well, everything has been done before including walking down the aisle and getting married. A super unique reception and ceremony isn’t what makes it special, it’s the two people getting married that make it special. So who the eff cares if the last 5 weddings the author went to had a candy bar or someone used their dog for a ring bearer?   A more obvious solution besides taking to social media to bitch about it would be to realize that not every wedding is going to.mirror how you would do it. 

Post # 23
549 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: Backyard

I had mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I thought some of it was rather harsh. On the other hand, I was happy to see that our wedding was so untrendy that we didn’t have a single one of these. On the other hand (this is one of those times a third arm would be helpful,) we did think of using some of the rustic stuff because we actually are rustic people. What’s so wrong with using something that’s actually reflective of the couple rather than just an attempt to be trendy?

Post # 24
1807 posts
Buzzing bee

I can be snarky sometimes, but except for the ‘making your guests sit on pillows on the ground’, I see nothing wrong with any of these. (well, ok maybe the donuts on pegs/hooks is gross, although not the donuts themselves.)

Granted, many are not my personal taste, but until Pig Mud Wrestling becomes a thing, I think people should keep doing what they love.

I get more upset when couples waste money on things NOBODY notices or keeps.

Post # 25
972 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2015

My immediate thought was that the first thing that needs to stop should be “Hipsters who think they’re so on point that they create lists judging other hipsters”!

come up with new ideas but don’t bash other trends/items people enjoy. Especially cake or candy or chocolate of any sort 🙂

Post # 26
425 posts
Helper bee

sunshinenumber5 :  It says peaceful if you turn it upside down. I’m not sure why you would want to do that, though.

Post # 27
5107 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: December 2014

The only one I agree with is the “signs implying the groom doesn’t want to get married”. I hate those and find them to be less funny and more insulting to the bride. 

I’m not going to complain about dessert no matter if it’s tiny cookies, donuts on a wall or cupcakes in a tower. I don’t think naked cakes are very pretty, but they’re probably better to eat without gobs of frosting. Burlap/lace/mason jars are pretty overdone, but they are for a reason, it can be very pretty. 

This list should be renamed “I hate all popular things because I’m the real hipster”.

Post # 28
2427 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: NJ

Looks to me the writer of this slideshow doesn’t like things that are gimmicky. He is spot on about those stickers on the bottom of the Hershey Kisses. And all those signs, better probably to just say what has to be said on them, without the silly poems and assorted fonts. 

In fact, that donut wall doesn’t even look appetizing or sanitary! I got a good laugh out of imagining my late mother attending  a barn wedding. She was the ultra proper, stuffy type. The look on her face would be priceless.

Post # 29
103 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

I’m going to guess that the author of this “list” is just bitter and alone. I mean according to them we should probably all just elope and forget weddings altogether. 

This was really annoying to read. 

The topic ‘"23 hilarious hipster wedding trends that need to stop…"’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors