"23 hilarious hipster wedding trends that need to stop…"

posted 3 years ago in Reception
Post # 31
222 posts
Helper bee

nonablu :  I love your enthusiasm for macarons! I love macaroons even more than macarons though… coconut <3 yum!

Oh dear I’m hungry now.

Post # 32
3903 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: January 2017

vee1980 :  bahahaha πŸ˜‚ sounds like this list was writed by some bitter wedding hater… 

Post # 33
3903 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: January 2017

SithLady :  yeah I hate those signs do much and also those cake topers that look like the bride is the ball and chain.. or where she is dragging the groom by the shirt collar. Ugh. 😑

Post # 34
432 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2017 - Country Cottage and Gardens

I, for one, have never seen a wedding romper (?)

Post # 35
255 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2018

Ok I can see a lot of these things in the article being a little silly, or overdone. However, it’s hugely judgemental. What is wrong with non number table names and cupcakes? And so what if people like cute signs for their ceremony?

Post # 36
8825 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

I agree with all of them except I think naked cakes are fine, and how in the world did they include Canon in D as a trend? That’s just bizarre. The rest are pretty much everyone trying to be different, but when everyone is being different in the same way it becomes lame. I am not bitter or alone. I just appreciate function over form. Things should make sense.

Post # 37
1216 posts
Bumble bee

there were some things listed that I’ve never even seen so perhaps I’m just not a hipster, or been invited to enough weddings πŸ™‚ I’ve never seen a grey cake, a metallic cake or donuts pinned on a stick.  Maybe these just aren’t trendy where I live.

Also…. I have loved cupcakes since I was a kid.  I used to make them alot when I was about 10-12 years old. I  also love chicken. When my parents come to visit they always tease me and ask, ‘what kind of chicken are you making us for dinner?’ ‘ are we having red velvet or chocolate cupcakes for dessert?”  I didn’t have these things at my wedding.. but if I did, it would be obvious to anyone that knows me it would have because I LIKE THIS STUFF and not because it’s a trend. You’d get the same stuff when you come to my house, too!

Post # 38
1710 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

I agree with some of them, like children holding signs like “last chance to run!” or “just wait until you see her”, etc etc. and the Canon in D that’s used WAY too much, and the choreographed dances are getting old. The fingerprint tree thing is SO popular right now too. A few of them I’d never seen, like wedding romper one, the hanging donuts, grey cake, and the handkerchief one.

Post # 39
8825 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

zelda1987 :  The non-number table numbers is actually one of my biggest pet peeves. Table numbers are functional. They’re to help people find their seats. Numbers are easy. If I’m at table number 5, I know I’m going to pass tables 1-4, and if I get to table 6 I need to look around because I passed it. If I’m at table Tuscany or Little Women, that tells me jack shit about where to find my table. I don’t like wandering around like an idiot for 10 minutes because someone valued “it’s SO us!” more than they valued their guests’ convenience. Flowers, centerpieces, linens — these are all just for looks so personalize these all you want, but table numbers have a job to do. Table places, books, movies, songs, etc don’t do that job.

Post # 40
1993 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2016

the only one i slightly agree with is the cowboy boots one, ive been to multiple weddings over the years with brides who made a point to wear cowboy boots but yet i want to say the majority of them never grew up in the south, much less ever ridden a horse. 

im not a fan of the converse trend, especially when the bride has the bridesmaids wear them. The bride ill look the other way cause in most wedding dresses you cant even see their feet, but ill never be behind having bridesmaids wear nice expensive gowns/dresses then having them wear tennis shoes. Cause its all i can stare at the entire time i see photos of the bridal party. 

(I know tons of people love the converse thing, but i just cant seem to jump on the bandwagon for that one) 

im guilty of doing chalkboards at my wedding, i think they tend to be a nice decorative touch in my opinion. Im also guilty of doing the his or her cocktail thing, (my inner alcoholic came out and i thought it was kinda cool) 

A good amount of these ive never seen though, i want to say the writer of this took all these ideas off pinterest and thats how they came up with the list. 

Post # 41
159 posts
Blushing bee

How I hate judgmental stuff like that. I remember few months ago some bee posted how she is so annoyed with people who have rustic themed weddings when they have never been on a real farm! People always bitch about stuff thats popular because in their childish logic : popular=bad.  

I love naked cakes and mason jars and to not have them in my wedding just because its popular? Bit silly, isn’t it? Not everyone is super creative to come up with their own thing. There is nothing wrong with being inspired by others. I mean there is nothing wrong with just copying everything from a wedding magazine spread! Wedding decor really doesn’t have to be super unique.  

Post # 42
1815 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2016

sunshinenumber5 :  OH MY GOD this one drove me crazy for at least 1/2 hour – searching Google to see what that 2nd word could be (in ?  Jo?)… Argghhh!

Thanks to @milena who pointed out if you turn it upside down it says Peaceful. Who would have thought of turning it over? 

Wild / Peaceful 

that picture sure didn’t leave me feeling peaceful!!

Post # 43
1815 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2016

The writer wants to get rid of chocolate fountains, candy buffets, donuts, cakes, macaroons, milk and cookies… Over 1/2 the complaints were about desserts. I’ll take any desserts – although I agree, a drunken uncle or a few young kids and that chocolate fountain could be a disaster. 

Post # 44
3223 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2016

We had macaroons for our afternoon tea cocktail hour. I am still upset that I missed them, they were all gone when we were done with photos πŸ™

Post # 45
3332 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2017

I do agree with a few things: signs that say the groom is being forced into marriage (gag) and sexualizing kids (gag). Bobbing station – first I had no idea it’s a thing, second it’s disgusting, third , no I’m not wrecking my hair and makeup for that. Lastly, I’m not sitting on the fucking ground. Give me a chair!

the rest, the person seems so picky! Hating on cakes, confetti, mashed potatoes served in a non traditional dish – the horror!

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors