(Closed) 23 weeks pregnant with heartburn symptoms – what worked for you?

posted 4 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 2
766 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

Tums don’t work for me, but Gaviscon does, and as far as i know/have read, it’s safe during pregnancy. Pepto Bismol is not though. Hope you find relief soon! 

Post # 3
263 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2015

Honestly the ONLY thing that works for me is Gaviscon tablets. These ones:

This stuff works like a freaking charm! I had acid issues before pregnancy, and now that I’m 28 weeks it’s acting up pretty hard out. TUMS do nothing for me! The Gaviscon foams up and I get immediate relief. 

Other than that I try to avoid anything carbonated or acidic (lemonade kills me, and coffee is a bad one too). Drink TONS of water. And make sure you are sitting directly upright while you eat, and for as long as possible after you finish. If I lay down after eating, I’m just asking for an attack.

You can also try propping up the head of your bed/mattress if it starts to get really bad. Sleeping on a slight angle apparently helps a lot (though I’ve never personally tried it!).

Good luck!

Post # 4
1074 posts
Bumble bee

Lemon water (hot or cold) first thing in the morning. 

Post # 5
2554 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Absolutely everything gave me heartburn! Zantac was the only thing that worked for me.

Post # 7
2158 posts
Buzzing bee

rittenhousenewbee:  Milk!! Do you like milk? I’m 22 weeks pregnant, 23 weeks tomorrow, and I’ve been drinking loads of milk.. 

Also eat smaller portions of food more often, that also worked for me. 

Post # 8
1114 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

rittenhousenewbee:  I had never had heartburn either… Then around the same time in my pregnancy it started. I didn’t try TUms or any of those things… But Canteloupe worked for me. 

Post # 9
2158 posts
Buzzing bee

Oh Yes I agree with Canteloupe. I’ve been eating a ton of canteloupe throughout this pregnancy and drinking it down with a glass of milk.. it’s helped my heartburn hugely.

Post # 10
1649 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2000

Ugh my heartburn was worst than the nausea.  I found sleeping with a wedge pillow (for GERD) to stay upright and keeping a peice of bread or crackers to eat real quick if it woke me up by my nightstand worked best. For me, having an empty stomach caused the heartburn so the crackers/bread seemed to soak up the extra acid.  I also had to temporarily stop eating tomato based food like pizza and spaghetti, which made me very sad.  Are you eating acidic food?

Post # 11
1138 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

Tums works for me, and sleeping w/ my head slightly elevated. And of course avoiding spicy/heavy foods close to bedtime. Good luck!

Post # 12
313 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

MadameHibou:  I agree with you on the milk! 

Post # 13
1079 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

rittenhousenewbee:  I ate tums like they were candies. That was the ONLY thing that worked. I literally could NOT leave the house without my tums. If I didn’t have any, I had to stop and buy some. I can’t even describe the importance of how bad I always had to have them!

Post # 14
1450 posts
Bumble bee

Ginger is the best for acid reflux.  I’m not pregnant but the stress of wedding planning, etc. left me with such severe acid reflux I ended up in the ER and am now on prescription antiacids.  I still get really bad heartburn in the morning now and then, and the ONLY thing that gives me instant relief is drinking ginger tea.  My gastroenterologist actually recommended this to me, and let me tell you it’s the only thing that truly works for acid reflux, nausea, or general stomach discomfort.  And I’ve tried pretty much every type of over the counter acid reflux med out there (tums, zantac, prilosec otc, drinking baking soda, etc.)

I usually brew my tea with hot water and lots of hand cut ginger slices.  I personally love the soothing spiciness of it, but you can also add a bit of honey (the raw kind) and it tastes really good.  My doctor actually recommends honey too for stomach issues — as long as it’a not the commercial low grade highly processed kind. (I find that type of cheap honey flares up my acid reflux)

Post # 15
2053 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

A glass of warm milk and a cookie before I go to bed helps. 🙂 

Tums helps for mild cases of heartburn.

And when its really bad, Zantac is the only thing that helps! (My OB okay’ed it).

The topic ‘23 weeks pregnant with heartburn symptoms – what worked for you?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors