(Closed) 24 Hour Urine Test – Experiences?

posted 6 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 3
1487 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I know you didn’t mean for this to be funny, but I had to do this three times during my pregnancy, so this made me laugh.

So let’s see what I learned:

(1) Buy a cheap cooler to keep your pee in, because you have to keep it cool after you start, and there is nothing that would make me want to keep the pee jug in the fridge.

(2) Drink at least as much water as normal, if not more.  Sure, it means you have to pee more often, but not eating/drinking enough can skew your results.

(3) The little white thing they give you to collect your pee?  It’s uncomfortable to sit on, and feels mildly like getting a rectal exam every time you sit down.  I’m sorry, I never found a way around this.  Nor did I ever feel confident enough to poop while the thing was in the toilet, so I would pee, then take the white thing out, then finish up.

(4) The first time I did the test was really weird for me, but if you have to do it again (chances are you will) you’ll be able to practically do it in your sleep.  It gets to be not a big deal at all.

PM me with any questions or anything.  Like I said, I did this multiple times, and I’m an open book about it.  I hope your results come back great!

Post # 4
260 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

@OnTheTwelfth:  I did it when I was about 13 or 14 weeks because I am diabetic and they wanted to make sure I didn’t have any glucose or anything.  It wasn;t that big of a deal.  I did it on a day that I wasn’t at work so that I didn’t have to bring the jug with me every time I had to pee!  I felt weird peeing in a jug but it went pretty fast and I was happy when it was done.

Post # 5
1550 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

@OnTheTwelfth:  Yep, I did this to test for pre-eclampsia.

It was sort of annoying at first, and honestly, there were a couple pees that I skipped. The thing they give you to “catch” the pee is super easy to use and then you just pour it into the jug. I was told to keep the urine refrigerated, so we used the fridge in the garage because having it in the house kind of grossed me out.

I was 33 weeks when they tested me because I have severely high blood pressure, but protein levels were normal.

Post # 7
339 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2009

@OnTheTwelfth:  I used red Solo plastic cups for collection, they didn’t give me anything for collection. And I, too, did mine on a weekend when I wouldn’t have to be at work and kept it in our normal fridge. We live in an apartment so there was no option of another fridge, sure it was gross, but it got the job done. 

Drink lots of water!

Post # 8
260 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

@OnTheTwelfth:  I got a jug that looked very similar to yours that I just held under me (so to speak!) and peed in it!  It felt very strange but i just dealt with it and did what I had to do!  they didn’t tell me to refrigderate it or anything so I just left it under my sink in the bathroom so i can grab it whenever i had to go to the bathroom!  Results came back fine so I guess i did everything right!!!

Post # 9
1487 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

@OnTheTwelfth:  No, no, I wasn’t laughing at you!  It just became a joke in my house because it felt like every time I went to the doctor they sent me home with that damn orange jug.  I think I still have a spare under my bathroom sink.

If they didn’t give you something to catch it in, use a cup!  I asked if I could use a cup but for some reason they were super insistent that I use their thing (they called it a hat.)  But seriously, you aren’t missing a damn thing, except those almost rectal exams I mentioned.

The topic ‘24 Hour Urine Test – Experiences?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors