(Closed) 24 hours in a rescue cats new life… (with pictures)

posted 3 years ago in Pets
Post # 2
1973 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2016 - Sussex, UK

Aww how lovely. My mum’s rescue cat hid under the sofa for two weeks when she brought her home. She’d had a bit of a traumatic life but is quite happy in her own way now. I will only ever have rescue cats. Hope they settle in soon ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 3
7669 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

Ahhh so cute! My shy shelter cat did a similar thing when I first adopted her…the minute I let her have access to the whole apartment she vanished. I searched for HOURS in increasing panic…sure she had somehow gotten into the walls, or worse, escaped altogether somehow. Eventually I noticed a couple books on the top shelf of my bookcase were slightly askew. Turns out the kitty had somehow gotten up to the top shelf and had created a protective nook for herself behind my books! Poor thing was scared shitless of me (and everything else in the world, seemingly) for ages…I remember I used to have to enter the room facing backwards otherwise I would spook her and she’d run into hiding again lol. But now we are besties.

Anyway your cats are too cute for words. Happy catting!!

Post # 4
209 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2017

I am happy to read your story! We have literally just rescued 2 12 week old kittens today and brought them home! They have been noted to be nervous and have yet not come out of the cat carrier (we brought them home at 1pm and it is now 8pm) which is sad but we are leaving them to their own choices when they want to come out. They have their food and water right outside the door and the littertray only a few feet away too. Just hoping they come out tomorrow if they are ready! Hope your Clyde comes out from the bath! I am hoping we have one like Lomond that loves a fuss!

Post # 6
2583 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2017

So sweet.  I love how honest you are being as most people are disillusioned to thinking rescue pets will be so happy to be rescued that there is no trauma. I hope your cats warm up soon. 

Post # 7
3323 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: City, State

rendezvous89 :   romeantic :  congrats to both of you on your family member’s.  Love and patience is key. Am sure in months time you will be both posting how all 4 kitties like a fuss. Best of luck bees xxx

Post # 8
209 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2017

rendezvous89 :  I am a UK bee! didn’t realise you were! FH just went to have a nosey and one looked like they were going to attempt to come out, then sat down again haha and your post as mde me realise we need to get the board fixed in our kitchen so they don’t disappear under there too haha!

Post # 11
539 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2017

So cute!! As an owner of cats for my whole life, just some advice: let the cats hide anywhere they want, they will get out on their own. They will likely hide for a few days to weeks until they know they can trust you.

Post # 12
626 posts
Busy bee

rendezvous89 :  Lovely post. My advice: let Clyde hide for a week. Once he gains confidence he’ll come on out. It’s important that they do it on their own terms, as it shows them that they’re safe and respected.

Enjoy your cats!

Post # 14
1991 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

I adopted my rescue cat as a kitten, and he used to hide all the time for the first couple weeks we had him. He’s now almost 5 and super friendly and cuddly. Congrats on the new additions!

Post # 15
409 posts
Helper bee

rendezvous89 :  Don’t worry, dear, my rescue cat spent most of her first 3 months totally terrified and hiding in whatever little crevice she could find. I expected six months actually. But after 3-4 months she became so loving and friendly and cute. She’s still not totally relaxed, but much better than before. They really need a long time to rest and sleep off the stress. A small, simple and quiet room would be perfect for that. We introduced our cat to this giant 4 bedroom house that we were renting, and she totally freaked out. A small and hidden place, where they can feel safe and snug is much better. 

The topic ‘24 hours in a rescue cats new life… (with pictures)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors