(Closed) 25 DIY centerpieces…crazy or worth it?

posted 7 years ago in Flowers
Post # 3
1991 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I DIY’d 20 tall centerpieces for my wedding. However, I used silk. Trying to put that many centerpieces together the day before your wedding will be a huge headache.

If you decide to do it, make sure you have ALOT of hands on deck.

Post # 4
5547 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: December 2011

I think it is do-able, you may go crazy, but it is able to be done. I would suggest, if you plan on using the chystals on the branches like I have seen other people do, have those ahead and attach them so you just have to put it all in the vases rather than having to assemble that too.

Post # 6
955 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

never ever do your own flowers. If you want to enjoy your day – do not do the work. Just my opinion.

Post # 7
121 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

I was going to do my flowers, but I kept getting advised not to. I wanted peonies everywhere and that’s expensive. We decided to adjust the budget to include a florist. I chose an up and coming florist who works out of her home and we added in some other flowers to help keep costs down. For the arrangements that I don’t really care about (alter arrangements), I told her ‘cheap and pink.’ She’s giving me two huge arrangements for $100/ea. Everyone else in San Francisco wanted to charge me $300-500/each. Shopping around for a good florist really paid off.

Post # 8
4887 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

I would avoid this project like the plague, but that’s just me!  I don’t want to be stressing about anything leading up to my wedding, and this just sounds really intense.  Centerpieces don’t have to be floral, after all – what about a pile of books, or just candles of different height?

Post # 9
2362 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: December 2017

I was going to DIY 15 manzanita CP’s but decided to pay the extra and have a florist do it. The reasoning is the same as yours: Set up the day of. Who would bring our CP’s to the venue (we are only allowed in 3 hours prior to our event time or we have to pay extra to set up)?, How would we transport 15 manzanita CP’s? What if they break on the way there? I didn’t want to deal with it. But if those things aren’t an issue for you I would still do it.

Post # 10
14495 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

I did all my own centerpieces.  I would make a mockup of how the final table is supposed to look and take a photo of it, that will help who ever is setting up for you know what your vision is.  You can do that for all the tables, guest book, head table, cake table, etc.

Post # 11
4485 posts
Honey bee

That is something only you can answer. You have take your time, talents and sanity into account as well. If you are able to do all that yourself, then go for it. But it’s ok too if you want to have a professional do it for you to set your mind at ease to allow time to do other things that need doing last minute as well.

Post # 12
1093 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

I’m DIY-ing 25 centerpieces and about 10 cocktail hour arrangements, but I’m using silk orchids and doing floating orchids.  The fact that they’re floating makes them look nice, and the silk ones were MUCH cheaper.  And since I’m using fake flowers, I can make them a few at a time in advance.  Our venue said as long as they’re mostly assembled, they’re more than happy to fill them with water and stick them in the middle of the tables.

For what it’s worth, the cost I was quoted for these was about $1700 for the centerpieces- vases, flowers, and candles.  I’m doing them for under $500.

Post # 13
450 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

I am doing all our centerpieces. I am not a flower person, so that makes it a bit easier for me though.

Post # 14
65 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

My florist used fake white roses for the flower girl pomanders, have you tried that?  She suggested it because she was worried the little girls would swing theirs around and ruin them pre-ceremony.  They looked really good, you might want to try a test version and that could take some pressure off. 

Post # 15
785 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

@pinkfrog where did you get your silk flowers?

Post # 16
7992 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2013 - UK

I would worry about this because you will have to do it either late at night the day before (and then after that, where will you store the flowers? Will you have access to a fridge) or on the ACTUAL MORNING when you will not have time. Flowers will die fast, especially in heat. It’s a big job.

I’m not saying I’m not taking on big jobs… I’m probably going to do my own evening buffet, for example, but at least that can be done 1-2 days before and refrigerated! You might have less success with the flowers!

The topic ‘25 DIY centerpieces…crazy or worth it?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors