(Closed) 2.5 weeks to go & I don’t like the way my dress looks on me :-

posted 7 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
369 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

I think you look gorgeous in the dress, but I agree that it doesn’t quite cut in at the waist.  Can you get it altered again?  Maybe just have them take it in a little bit more?  I know it stinks paying more for alterations, but you definitely want to be happy and feel beautiful in your dress!

Good luck!

Post # 4
986 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

hmm.  I do see a difference.  But the first pic is great so I don’t think its the dress.  Perhaps it just needs more alterations.  Can you bring the pics to the streamstress and show her what you want?

Post # 5
509 posts
Busy bee

DId you say that your dress is a petite size? Because if so, the length of the waist if different than in a regular size. If the one you tried on in May was regular, that’s the difference. “Petite” doesn’t mean “short”. It means “short-WAISTED.” You may be short, but long waisted, hence the difference.

Post # 6
5984 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 1999

@kt23525:  You are going to look absolutely gorgeous on your wedding day…stop doubting yourself, silly!  I like the PP’s suggestion to go to a seamstress.  It looks like it could be brought in just a bit in a few places to fit more snug.  Best wishes!!

Post # 7
986 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

@woodwindwaker:

OMG!  I didn’t know that, I’m glad you pointed it out, I was torn on whether to order petit or find heels I could walk in.  Good to know.

Post # 8
1701 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

First–get a long line bra.  I think that always makes a difference–they do wonders for the girls.

Second–try a crinoline.  It might be the angle, but it looks like the skirt is a little flat

If it still doesn’t fit, take it back and have it taken in again.  You might want to look for recommendations on a different seamstress.

Post # 9
5655 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2011

Find someone to alter it were you live…. not DB.. I hate their alterations dept.

2.5 weeks is PLENTY of time for a final fitting and seamstresses HATE having to tell a bride no… so you should be able to find someone.

I would take the pic of the first one.. although if you find a real seamstress (again I hate DB alterations) then she should be able to fix it without a problem.

I took my dress in 10 days before my wedding and picked it up 2 days before… like I said find a stand alone seamstress and you should be good with the time that you have… sheessh you could probably even tell them that you’d really like to come back sooner to just make sure.. tell them you dress backstory and they’ll sympathize>

Sorry it’s been so much trouble… BUT it is fixabl and doable ((hugs))

EDIT:: You should have ALL your undergarments when going for alterations.. this way you can get a true fit

Post # 10
2891 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

I concur DB’s alterations dept stinks! I could tell you many horror stories. Get out your yellow pages and find someone else. That dress will look to die for on you once you get it in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing. ๐Ÿ˜€

Post # 11
1370 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

It’s probably because you tried on a regular and ordered a petite. I’m sorry you’re not happy but I really hope can have someone fix it!

Post # 12
64 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

you look beautiful! but what it looks diferent to me is the bust! did you lose some of you bubies when you lost the weight? that happens to me! they added cup and i have push up bra! lol  try a different bra, that could be why it looks diferent!

Post # 13
3152 posts
Sugar bee

i hope everything works out for you! i still think you look very pretty!

Post # 14
627 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Okay, as a PP said before, it is the Petite sizing that is causing a lot of the issue, I think. Also, you lost a lot of weight in your bust, so you are not getting the curviness you had before.

Get a nice set of foundation garments (long line bra to get some more lift for the breasts, spanx type bottoms to avoid a line from the bra) to give you the Joan Halloway solid curve. Then go to a seamstress. 

I would suggest getting a corset lacing up the back so that you can really get it to hug the curves and give you the defined waist that the first picture has.

It’s totally fixable.

Post # 15
Hostess
23620 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2011

I just wanted to give you a big *HUG* and assure you that everything will be okay! Don’t you worry!  I also agree with everything PPs are saying.  Good luck and know that it will all be okay!

The topic ‘2.5 weeks to go & I don’t like the way my dress looks on me :-’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors