(Closed) 25 years old, "Healthy" …HIGH cholesterol!

posted 5 years ago in Wellness
Post # 3
1039 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2013

If it’s familial like that, there’s unfortunately not a lot you can do.

I too have high cholesterol.  When I first found out (I was 22) the doctors thought there was a mistake so retested me.  No mistake!

I was anal for years about watching what I eat and it went down a total of 10 points.  My doctor isn’t that concerned, except she said she will probably put me on medication in my mid 30’s when I’m done having children.  You can’t be on cholesterol-lowering medication while TTC.

So while I still watch what I eat, I’m not obsessive about it. 

Post # 5
24 posts
Newbee

I’m 28 & have had it since first getting checked for it in my early 20’s.. Currently its pretty high for me, around the 250 mark but generally sits around the low -mid 200’s

I too am healthy. i wanna lose a few pounds but I am in a healthy weight range. I also exersice daily & eat really well. Doctors seem to always jump to the conclusion i am super unhealthy, but I’m soo not! I think mine is genetic like yours most likely is.. and unfortunatly if its genetic its gonna be super hard to control without meds. I’m not on meds as I refuse, heard such nasty things – will only go on them when im in my 30’s & if its super necessary i’ve decided. please know all your options before going on statins.. doctors love giving people statins when they dont always need them. Sure, they do help many people, but if you do some research, sometimes they can do more harm than good

As for advice – first do you know your single numbers? such as ldl, hdl etc? Although its high, if you have good ratios  then its not such a huge concern.. they say now the ratio is more important than the overall number. My trigs are perfect which makes me stress a little less. Know your ratios and if they’re good if may give you a peice of mind. theres tons of info on the internet about it

Also, if you’re not already doing it – take fish or krill oil daily, like a large dose. it may not decrease your overall number but it may increase your good cholesterol which is a really good thing. I’ve done tons of research and theres also a few other things that have worked for some, eg.. fibre tablets, naicin, green tea.. 

Alsoooo… food wise, try avoid bad fats but eat plenty of good fats – eg, raw almonds, avocado, olive oil.. again, these will all boost your good cholesterol. The more good choletserol you have, the more it will clean up the bad cholesterol so it wont stick!

Sorry for the long post.. just wanna help, trust me, I know how much it sucks.. i’m super paranoid about having a heart attack and get some crazy anxiety about it.. but in reality if you are healthy and have no other risk factors, i wouldnt stress too much πŸ™‚

good luck.. let me know if you have any questions about what i said!

Post # 6
24 posts
Newbee

I’m 28 & have had it since first getting checked for it in my early 20’s.. Currently its pretty high for me, around the 250 mark but generally sits around the low -mid 200’s

I too am healthy. i wanna lose a few pounds but I am in a healthy weight range. I also exersice daily & eat really well. Doctors seem to always jump to the conclusion i am super unhealthy, but I’m soo not! I think mine is genetic like yours most likely is.. and unfortunatly if its genetic its gonna be super hard to control without meds. I’m not on meds as I refuse, heard such nasty things – will only go on them when im in my 30’s & if its super necessary i’ve decided. please know all your options before going on statins.. doctors love giving people statins when they dont always need them. Sure, they do help many people, but if you do some research, sometimes they can do more harm than good

As for advice – first do you know your single numbers? such as ldl, hdl etc? Although its high, if you have good ratios  then its not such a huge concern.. they say now the ratio is more important than the overall number. My trigs are perfect which makes me stress a little less. Know your ratios and if they’re good if may give you a peice of mind. theres tons of info on the internet about it

Also, if you’re not already doing it – take fish or krill oil daily, like a large dose. it may not decrease your overall number but it may increase your good cholesterol which is a really good thing. I’ve done tons of research and theres also a few other things that have worked for some, eg.. fibre tablets, naicin, green tea.. 

Alsoooo… food wise, try avoid bad fats but eat plenty of good fats – eg, raw almonds, avocado, olive oil.. again, these will all boost your good cholesterol. The more good choletserol you have, the more it will clean up the bad cholesterol so it wont stick!

Sorry for the long post.. just wanna help, trust me, I know how much it sucks.. i’m super paranoid about having a heart attack and get some crazy anxiety about it.. but in reality if you are healthy and have no other risk factors, i wouldnt stress too much πŸ™‚

good luck.. let me know if you have any questions about what i said!

Post # 7
3277 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

I also have high cholesterol, found out last year at 19 and 120lbs. It’s just genetic and as long as you eat right it shouldn’t be a problem

Post # 8
24 posts
Newbee

oops sorry double post!

Post # 10
24 posts
Newbee

I wouldnt stress πŸ™‚ and if you do have high hdl then i really wouldnt worry!

Any study out there now states ratio is way more important than the total number. And the number of doctors ive had stress me out over it all… any wonder I have anxiety now! I had one tell me to go on meds like right then and there when i was 24, my ratio was beyond perfect.. but he only looked at the total number. i dont always trust doctors anymore, which is sad. do some research or get a 2nd opinion but dont let them stress you out & make you think you have some major issue when you dont. Unless you had like heaps of family members drop dead when they were quite young from heart disease, its not likely to happen to you!

keep up being healthy.. keep your ratios in the good range & of course you’ll have to moniter it  most likely your whole life.. but otherwise dont give it a another thought πŸ™‚ just enjoy being young & healthy – we shoudnt have to think of heart disease at our age!!!

The topic ‘25 years old, "Healthy" …HIGH cholesterol!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors