(Closed) 27 dresses…why do we do this??

posted 6 years ago in Bridesmaids
Post # 3
1681 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

I feel the same way! I have been having the hardest time deciding between brown, taupe, and pink. Then I thought, well, so long as they coordinate, I’m going with all three! My girls can pick whichever they like 🙂

Post # 5
3175 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

I always thought it was so a. pictures would look pretty (although, personally, I think non matching would be just as pretty) and b. as a way to make them stand out from other guests. Those are my best guesses! I just picked a color (charcoal) and told them to do what they wanted. I would’ve done completely mismatched (but maybe asked a certain style) but my BMs wanted more direction. Some of them even complained that I was too vague lol. Maybe they were just worried I’d become a bridezilla if I didn’t like what they picked (I wouldn’t). Who knows.

Post # 6
1681 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

@peachacid:  I agree! My thought is “If you wouldn’t wear iridescent purple on a daily basis, why would you make a group of bridesmaids wear it.” I’m with you, I would much rather my ladies just look pretty and feel pretty!

Post # 8
3175 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

@peachacid:  Okay, I’ll go look. Thanks!

Post # 9
5011 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2012

Originally they didn’t just dress the same as one another but the same as the bride. It was meant to confuse evil spirits.

Post # 11
475 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

Are you watching 27 Dresses on FX? lol I am 🙂

But I agree with you. I actually wanted my bridesmaids to wear different shades and styles, but they all wanted to wear plum, so I just threw in the towel and agreed. I still think they looked beautiful though!

Post # 12
409 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

My bridesmaids commented that I was making it harder on them too!  

‘its so much easier if you tell us what you want us to wear’

I was trying to be a nice bride!

Post # 13
1526 posts
Bumble bee

I told mine to wear whatever they wanted and I think our pictures are fine. I got about a million questions from the entire bridal party about what to wear and I just said “whatever” a million times. I think people are just used to the tradition so they assume there’s a specific dress they’ll need to buy. 

Post # 14
88 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Im doing something a little different, for just this reason. I hate being a bridesmaid. Love the honor, but ugh….the stress! I am not having a ceremony, just planning a beautiful reception/party (for a number of reasons).  I want everything to be as classy yet enjoyable as possible. I am going to have a table with tiara’s (or fascinators, havent quite decided) and name cards. My girls wont know they are bridesmaids until they show up and find their tiara. I think it will be a fun surprise, they will still be honored as my closest friends, and no pre-wedding stress for them! 

Post # 15
1304 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

I also think it’s a bizarre tradition and, frankly, a bit juvenile.  We didn’t do this in my bridal party; we got dresses in different, complementary colors that had similar lengths and necklines.  It looked great.

Post # 16
3585 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: January 2000

@peachacid:  SOmeone todya showed a photo of their bridemadis, each in a different short flowered dress.It was the cutest thing I’ve seen lately! The flower prints were small.

The topic ‘27 dresses…why do we do this??’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors