27 weeks and no word about a baby shower, what do you think?

posted 3 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 2
3235 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2017

I suspect you aren’t getting a shower. Start buying things you will need when baby first arrives in the next 4 weeks. If someone does offer there is still time for a shower.

Post # 3
9127 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

View original reply
annamarie92 :  I’m sorry, it sounds like you aren’t getting a shower. Even though mine was mostly a surprise my girlfriends still told me the date so I wouldn’t go off and make other plans. Plus they nagged me to start a registry. I’d start getting the stuff you’ll really need in the first couple weeks and if a surprise shower happens then it’s just bonus. 

Post # 4
1199 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2018

Are showers normally surprises? My friends who had baby showers thrown for them knew about them, bought a cute outfit to wear, and set up registries.

Sorry to hear, I can empathize. I’m a bit sad that I probably won’t be getting a bridal shower (only glimmer of hope is if step Mother-In-Law decides to throw one) so it wouldn’t surprise me if there’s no baby shower either for us either one day.

Post # 5
9130 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

View original reply
annamarie92 :  I would start by making a registry of things you think you’ll like or need. It will work for your own planning and also for a shower if someone comes through with one. I would also be blunt with “everyone” who is telling you not to buy stuff: “I haven’t heard that anyone is planning a shower.” Maybe everyone thinks someone else is planning one and hearing that it’s not in the works will insprire someone. Or at least it will stop them from discouraging you from shopping. If you buy stuff from your registry, make sure to mark it off. Even if there’s not a shower, some people might look for a registry and get you a gift anyway, either before or after the baby’s born. Best wishes!

Post # 6
9127 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

View original reply
Daisy_Mae :  also – many registries offer freebies and discounts so even if you don’t end up with a shower make one for yourself and save some cash!

Post # 7
962 posts
Busy bee

My expectation is that no, no one has anything planned. Are you the first in your family/circle to have a baby, or can you comment on how it went down for your sister, best friends, etc. Only one of my friends has had a child so far and her mom threw her the shower – are you close with your mom? Showers aren’t done in my religion so there’s obviously no precedent for them in my family. 

Post # 8
2990 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2008

Are any of your friends procrastinators? Maybe one of them will offer closer to your due date. One of my friends offered when I was 28 weeks pregnant and I was like “Thanks, but [Less close friend who is a planner] is hosting.” 

I would still make an Amazon registry. You get a nice completion discount if you make one big purchase of all the things!

Post # 9
9528 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

Hmm. Well first of all, agree with PPs that you should make a registry no matter what. We (well, DH since I was too anxious to touch it) made ours on Amazon because even though I didn’t want any showers, we wanted the welcome box, 15% completion discount (which can be used on 2 orders up to $2k), and diaper/wipes bonus.

I ended up having a work shower last week at nearly 34 weeks. Mainly got Amazon gift cards which was great, but maybe like 20% of registry items got bought too. Then this past weekend, we ordered the rest of the things that we need before baby comes with one of the completion discounts. We left a few things on the registry that we either know we don’t need right away or aren’t even sure we need. We have until mid-June to use the second completion discount so will do that later. 

So of course after we placed our order this past weekend, DH’s boss emailed me inviting me to a surprise shower that she wants to throw for him next week (when I’ll be nearly 36 weeks!). So surprise showers later in the game can come up. I figure if anyone gets us anything, we can either return some of the stuff we already bought or maybe they’ll get some of the stuff still on the registry that we were waiting on getting until after the baby comes.

I’d go ahead and get things you think you need and save receipts just in case!

Post # 11
47438 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

Where I live showers are held closer to the due date, or even after baby is home.  You are still 3 months out. I would get the basics- you really don’t need most baby gear in the early days- and wait and see what happens.

Post # 12
2990 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2008

View original reply
julies1949 :  This is good advice. I didn’t use most of the gifts I received until later, and some things I never used like adorable size NB clothes that she outgrew in 2 weeks and just passed them onto other new moms.

I think essential gear would be a car seat, bassinet, baby-wearing device, onesies, footed pajamas, swaddles, diapers, baby wipes, and diaper ointment. Am I missing anything?

Post # 13
549 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

View original reply
annamarie92 :  i’m sad for you, where do you live? i would throw you one, lol. why don’t you set up a registry if only for your own shopping list. you could also start buying stuff but keep all receipts and return if you end up actually having a shower. if you are close to your stepmother you should talk to her. tell her that you don’t think you’re having a shower so you are starting to look into buying stuff etc. she may take the hint and end up planning you one, which i think everyone shoud get to have at least once!

Post # 14
7398 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2012

I think it’s probably safe to assume at this point if no one has brough it up that no one is planning on throwing one. I can definitely understand that would be dissapointing, but to give you a different perspective….even though they are for two completely unrelated events it probably feels gift grabby to some people. Now I’m not in any way saying that’s your intention, and of course I think babies should be celebrated. I’m just assuming that you likely had a bridal shower – so between that and your wedding people just gifted you items and now having a baby shower is asking them to turn around and buy you more stuff. 

Post # 15
1893 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2017 - Pearson Convention Centre

In our families both bridal showers and baby showers are surprises.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors