3.64 vs 4ct round solitaire

posted 2 years ago in Rings
  • poll: Would there be a noticeable difference between a 3.64 vs 4ct round solitaire?

Yes, a noticeable difference

Yes, not enough to get a 4ct

No, not a noticeable difference

• Post # 20
    1769 posts
    Buzzing bee

View original reply
    @ann123:  And seriously, that is a gorgeous stone on your finger!!  If I saw that, I’d be like “wowza!”  Mine is nowhere near as big as yours…my hubby gave me a 1.75 ct diamond for our anniversary and there was a part of me that kept thinking, “Maybe I should have gone for the 2 ct” but our jeweler said the difference is very minimal and he sent me  photos of them again side by side to ease my mind. And he’s right.  I love my diamond and I picked it because it has great specs and really called to me when I first saw it with the others so that’s what I think about.  🙂

Post # 22
    168 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: January 2020

Between a well-cut 3.64 and a 4 carat round there shouldn’t be more than a 7-12% difference in face up area. What’s more important than carat size however, is the actual measurements of the stone. For example, a 3.6 carat and a 4 carat can both measure 10.32 x 10.32 mm in terms of length-width (obviously ideal ratio for rounds is 1:1), but the 3.6 carat might be a shallow (“spready”) stone, whereas the 4 carat has a depth that is within the ideal range for that particular stone. 

Post # 24
    418 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2018

In a similar situation (2.5ish vs 3) I compared them side by side and went with 2.5ish because the slight size difference wasn’t worth the big mark up. Some days I still wish I’d gotten the 3 but I think it’s all in my head. If you think it will bother you enough and don’t mind spending the extra cash then by all means go for it! Did you compare them next to each other when you were shopping? 

Post # 26
    444 posts
    Helper bee

That ting is beautiful, but of the fact that it’s not 4 carats bothers you the. Get it so it won’t bother you! I think this stone is amazing though just stunning!

Post # 27
    168 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: January 2020

View original reply
    @ann123:  Comparing the measurements of those two stones, the 4 carat will only have a 5% larger face up area than the 3.64ct stone (4.15mm² larger)… basically it will be very minimal. The 4 carat has a bit of a deeper cut (depth of 62.6%). Not sure what the price difference is, but hitting the 4 carat mark usually comes at a premium as well.

That being said, remember that it’s not all about numbers and GIA stats; what’s important is the diamond you fall in love with when you see it in person. 

Post # 30
    1926 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2020

View original reply
    @ann123:  Your ring is lovely just as it is and I don’t think the size increase would be noticeable or worth the added cost. 

ETA: Just saw your update – great choice! 🙂

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors