3-8 on the Mohs Scale Stones Wear and Tear? Share Pics of Your Colored Gems!

posted 2 years ago in Rings
Post # 2
3426 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2017

tourmalinebride :  well i have a sapphire, but it’s not considered “low” on the MOHs scale – sapphires are considered tough enough for every day wear. No issues with mine. 

However, I’ve also owned an aquamarine ring i wore pretty regularly, and after a few years it got pretty cloudy from scratching. 

Post # 3
69 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2020

I have an opal ring that I wore everyday for 4 years without any sign of wear. The only reason I don’t wear it now is because I don’t think it coordinates well with my engagement ring. Opal is considered around a 6 on the Mohs scale. I really think it depends on the individual and how hard they are on their jewelry. I definitely didn’t go out of my way to protect my opal. I have a desk job and didn’t wear it for yard work, showering, etc. 

ETA that I now have an engagement ring with a London blue topaz center stone. 

Post # 4
69 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2020

Post # 6
1380 posts
Bumble bee

I have  black onyx (6.5-7 hardness), so it won’t get cloudy because it’s doesn’t let light pass through it. I’ve had it for 1.5 years now and there’s only a couple scrathes so far. Those are from a puppy deciding to chew on it (I think). I tend to think of the scratches, not as flaws, but as evidence and recording of the life I am living and the memories made wearing this ring.

I’m not gentle with my ring, I wear it for a lot of stuff and only really take it off when sleeping (so I don’t slash myself), when showering (so it doesn’t get caught in my hair or go down the drain), using chemicals, or swimming (so as not to lose it in the water). I’ve bashed it loads and it’s fine. Honestly, the stone is much more “new” looking than the metal is now.

I think it just really depends on how careful you are and if it will bother you that there might be some surface scratches.

Post # 7
1430 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2016

Topaz which is 8 I believe. I’ve been wearing it for two years and it looks as good as the day I got it. I’m careful not to knock it around. It’s still beautiful and sparkly and no visible scratches.

Post # 11
3426 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2017

texasbride905 :  ok, so how much you wanna bet? i’ll send you my paypal so you can send me payment. also, this stalking thing is just childish.

Post # 13
114 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2017

Sapphire is a 9. I never take it off and had no issues at all.

Post # 14
41 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2015

I have an opal ring (not e-ring) that got several chips within weeks and months of getting it. It is tarnished now because I hardly ever wear it as I don’t want to break it further.

I circled some of the chips.

I have some coordination issues so I am probably rougher on my jewelry than most. For me personally I tend to think that opal would be better for a necklace given how fragile it seems to be.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors