(Closed) 3 big dogs?

posted 6 years ago in Pets
Post # 2
653 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2015 - Southern Plantation House

13 kids?!? Wow!

I grew up in a household with 3 dogs. The biggest was our golden retriever. Next was a beagle/dalmation mix, followed in size by a regular beagle. It would get hectic at times but if you feel like you have the space, go for it! I will caution that 3 dogs always leads to more vet bills. When our dogs got older, it seemed like every month my parents were paying for one vet bill after the other. At least dogs are cute enough to get away with it!

Post # 3
2268 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2015

Do it. LOL puppies are easier then babies at my mind 🙂 I have a big pup, a smaller dog and a cat. Three animals can be a lot with costs but i love my babies more then anything.

Post # 4
268 posts
Helper bee

We have 4 large dogs.  Go for it if you have the time and space for it.  We also have 6 boys lol.

Post # 5
236 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2015 - City Hall NYC

I can’t help snap you out of this puppy fever….I have the worst puppy fever..  If I could have 13 puppies running around my house I would *sigh*

Post # 6
2127 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012 - Southern California

We have one small dog and zero children and we still think that’s more than enough haha. But puppies are so damn cute, especially black ones (we have a black dog too), so I won’t be very good at dissuading you here. 😉

Post # 10
244 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

View original reply
mrsmossyoak:  Please take this from someone who has 4 LARGE dogs, two of them black labs: it is a LOT of work. A ton of work, actually.

And I STILL get puppy fever. My thing is that with all the cleaning, poop, medical expenses and another mouth to feed…I literally dream of how much easier my life would be if we just had one or two dogs.

With raising puppies, we had furniture ruined, window sills chewed, rugs stained, etc. The house will never smell like a “clean” home..ever.

As much as I want another puppy, I just know it would be too much work. Going on vacation is almost impossible and by the time we’re TTC, we’re going to be overwhelmed with large, old, stinky dogs. 

We love our fur babies, but enough is enough!

Post # 11
138 posts
Blushing bee

I’m not saying do or do not get a third because it is up to you to decide that but three are considerably more work than two.

A friend of mine had to travel a fair bit for work for a while, and she’d leave her dog(s) with me for up to two weeks at a time. She has field bred Labradors that she hunts and trials with, and I have a working line GSD and a Malinois. They’re more energetic and driven than many other dogs. Consequently I have experience with having up to four fairly demanding dogs staying with me for long enough that it’s become a settled household, not just a short visit. All are trained and well behaved and I’m a bit of a fanatic about making sure the dogs all have enough exercise and attention, and in my opinion three are much more work than two.  Once you get out of adolescence provided you’ve established a good routine having two dogs is much more like having a dog-and-a-half in terms of the basic work required. Three are not equivalent to two! It’s certainly doable, particularly with two people in the household who are committed to exercising the dogs and spending individual time with each, but it is a noticeably bigger task than just having the two dogs. 

There’s also the financial considerations — that’s a *lot* of dog food, more pick-up bags, more for municipal licensing (if applicable), more for boarding/pet sitting when you go away, etc. etc. Your pet insurance and/or money put aside for vet bills has to be much higher. When they get older you’ll also have three senior dogs with senior dog vet bills assuming you get a pup now and there’s only a spread of two years. Again, you might be fine with that, but it’s another thing to take into consideration. Multiple dog households can be a challenge, but they’re also rewarding. 

Post # 13
5046 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2014

View original reply
mrsmossyoak:  Going from one dog to two dogs was trickier than going 2 dogs to 3 dogs. BUT mine are smaller. Are they fairly well trained, like they don’t jump on you? I can’t help either. I’d have more if I had more money and our city allowed it. We’re maxed out at 3 dogs per city code. I just sent my DH pix of the beagles that will be in another Bee’s wedding and he said he wants a girl beagle. I said, “How about tonight!”

I never get puppy fever though. Puppies are too much work. Though their cuteness almost makes up for it!!

Post # 15
523 posts
Busy bee

View original reply
mrsmossyoak:  

this is so accurately me, so I’m of zero help with puppy fever haha

The topic ‘3 big dogs?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors