(Closed) 3 carat too big for a 3.5 size finger???

posted 4 years ago in Rings
Post # 2
702 posts
Busy bee

what shape are you thinking about?

Post # 3
217 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2016

Not sure this persons ring size but saw it on Google images haha. Her diamond is a 3 ct solitaire and I think it looks huge BUT if that’s your style I say go for it! Haha. My diamond is tiny because that’s what I love. Basically… do what you love! 🙂

Post # 4
1865 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2016

Nope! i love all sizes but 3 carat would be my dream ring! Go for it!!! 

Post # 5
215 posts
Helper bee

i like this question because here I am worrying that a 0.83 in a petite halo setting is too big for a 3.5 finger .. hahahah

Go to jewellry store and try one on and see how you like it!

Post # 6
257 posts
Helper bee

I have a 3 carat solitaire on a size 4 finger and it looks/ feels very big. You will have to get your jeweler to bring the diamonds in bc it’s rare to see anything over 2 carats in store to try on. I say go for it! 

Post # 10
6272 posts
Bee Keeper

If you can afford it then go for it. I like the look of a big diamond. Try them on. See how they look. You might want to go down in size a little bit and go up in clarity/colour. Let us know what you do. 

Post # 11
2340 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

No! I am the same size and have a 2.02 carat that I adore and know I’m super-lucky to have, but 3 carats is probably my dream size. Much bigger than 4 carat, and in round brilliant (not emerald) cuts they lose their appeal for me in a ring.

As long as you can afford it and you are not compromising on quality of cut then go for it. DSS is real, I get it sometimes but I can’t believe I would at 3 carats. 

Large poorly cut stones with visible inclusions however turn me right off: the excitement of spotting a honker followed by the disappointment of a speckled stone staring blankly back at me. Give me an ideal cut 0.5 any day in preference to that.

Post # 12
2340 posts
Buzzing bee

happbeetogetmarried:  Your ring is my ring on steroids. I love and covet it! Is the size always comfortable for you or do you ever feel it is a bit too large, -as people often suggest that people considering larger diamonds will? I always think that as many cluster, halo and three stone rings have wider diameters, why should an un-haloed solitaire of a bit over 9mm be so burdensome? – However I do get that it is likely to be higher than those comparisons as all the proportions, including depth, are greater as carat weight increases.

I’d love to hear more from someone who has got one.  

Post # 13
702 posts
Busy bee

kgolczynski:  I’m size 4. I found 3 carat round to be too big on my hand; other shapes, I love them!!:) just my personal taste though. This is going to be YOUR ring! If u try it and u like it, why not?!! Remember to come back and share pictures with us!

Post # 14
257 posts
Helper bee

Drizzle:  Lol, you are so funny! I actually think 2 carats is perfect and would love to see it! I feel a little silly wearing my 3 everyday, it’s like there’s a time and a place for it you know? Do you wear your ring everyday? And you’re right the diamond is higher and I tend to knock it on stuff all the time. It’s also very top heavy and spins which can be burdensome but as I read on here that’s called a first world problem so I’m not complaining! I agree with you on the quality too, big cloudy diamonds are not sexy!

Post # 15
2340 posts
Buzzing bee

happbeetogetmarried:  thanks for answering my question. Your ring looks beautiful on your hand, yes big, but not doorknobby. It is the interplay of scintillation, fire and very visible facet patterns that I love in bigger round brilliants. I like that generous finger coverage too.  At above around 4 carats the facets tip into too big for me and I prefer to see some finger either side of a stone, so I think 3 carats is my favourite size. 

I do wear my ring all day everyday and it doesn’t get in the way and I rarely knock it. More and more people are wearing dress rings now so even though I work with unemployed learners a lot, I don’t feel it’s too conspicuous, although that did concern me at first and I was self-conscious of it when I told colleagues I was engaged. Nobody has been snarky about it, which is nice.

I will try telling myself “2 carats perfect. Don’t want one of those pesky 3 carats getting in the way, one of those 3 carats with the searchlight brilliance and colours and facets you can get lost in for hours…” 

Enjoy your lovely ring in health and happiness. 

The topic ‘3 carat too big for a 3.5 size finger???’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors