3 carats is it too much? Did anyone have regrets

posted 2 years ago in Rings
Post # 2
1457 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

Have you been able to go into a store and try different sizes on? Perhaps you could go for 2.5/2.75 and that might be a good middle ground if you’re not sure about 3? 

Post # 3
1112 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

I wear an inherited solitaire that’s just under 3 carats, and no, I have no awkward or anxious feelings about it. Get what you love.

Post # 4
215 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2018

Entirely up to you. IMO, it’s a lot of money on your finger, but if you’re able to afford it and love it, then why not?

Do you live in a place where this is common? I only know one person with a ring that large (family heirloom), so it’s very uncommon in my circle, but it may not be for you. 

Post # 5
325 posts
Helper bee

You have to take other people out of the equation. It’s about what YOU want. However, if you can’t to do that, get something smaller to ease your mind. I personally would regret not getting what I want at the expense of other people’s opinion. Besides, no one will ever care about what’s on your finger more than you do. They are not the ones wearing and looking at it daily…for the rest of their lives…

I personally don’t think 3 carats is very big anyway, but I’m used to wearing rings much bigger.

Post # 6
696 posts
Busy bee

I have a 3.3 carat round, and I’m putting a halo on it! I also live in SoCal and am very tall so it’s proportional to my size.. if you’re 5 feet tall with size 2 fingers it may look HUGE but it’s really just personal preference

Post # 8
2342 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: January 2015

glitzy :  And can you afford that size ring?

Post # 9
1870 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2016

I have a 3 carat ring and have never had a problem with it! Get what you love (if you can afford it 👍🏻)

Post # 10
793 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2018

Not sure if you are talking about a diamond or another type of stone because each is a different size.  CT is a weight measureent so a 3ct CZ (just for example) is a lot larger than a 3ct diamond.

Post # 11
4840 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

glitzy :  My OMC diamond (a Darling Husband family heirloom) is just over 3 cts, I have big hands, but it has never felt huge.   And there is no issue with shrinkage when you have your wedding band next to it.  If it is in the cards financially, go for it!  🙂

Post # 12
1384 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2018

My general thought is; if you are questioning if it’s right for you, and you don’t really want the attention then my advice is to go smaller. Even if you can afford any stone or whatever, if you don’t feel like it’s really you then how can you enjoy it? You *may* regret going smaller but I think in the mindset you have right now is to stick to a smaller stone and if your tastes change then you can always change it. This is just my opinion though-so take with a grain of salt 🙂 

Post # 13
23 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: June 2019

You should buy a cheap 3 carat cz ring and try wearing it around at home! I think larger stones are amazinggg, but I know that it would drive me crazy just because I already knock my 1 carat stone around too much.

Post # 14
2749 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2017

glitzy :  it’s about what you want as you’ll be wearing it! However a big old 2 or 3 carat equivalent moissanite is going to be more obviously recognized as not a diamond.  If that doesn’t matter then go big our go home! DSSS (dia simulant shrinkage syndrome) is real!

Post # 15
2404 posts
Buzzing bee

Mine is a smidge under 3.5 carats.  I’ve had a few moments where I felt self conscious about the size, such as when someone makes a bit of a rude remark about it being too big/speculating on how much it cost.  But no regrets, I have larger fingers and think the finger coverage is quite proportional and visually pleasing.   

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors