3 carats is it too much? Did anyone have regrets

posted 2 years ago in Rings
Post # 16
696 posts
Busy bee

glitzy :  I think we should et into specifics here.. first of all what stone are you thinking? Is it a diamond or a gemstone or something else? Secondly, what shape are you thinking? This is very important as different shapes show their carats differently. For example, an emerald will always look carat per carat smaller to maybe a pear or a cushion because of the step cuts. You need to tell us what shape you’re thinking first to get an idea of the size. If you can, it’s even better to tell us the dimension of the diamond if you already have one in mind. Thirdly, it’s the setting. Are you going for a solitaire? Or a halo? Halos will obviously make your stone a lot larger so you have to decide this too. Is your shank going to be thin or thick? Thicker bands should have a larger diamond to keep nice proportions. Lastly, what’s your ring size? Any stone will obviously look larger on a smaller finger than a larger finger. You have to know what ring to finger ratio you want to get a rough idea on the carat weight you want. Also, I advice going for something slightly below the 3 ct mark to save a lot of money. For example, a 2.8 or 2.9 ct will basically look the same to a 3. But if money is not an issue, then the sky’s the limit!!

i have a 3.82 ct center stone with side baguettes and the cttw is 4.52 ct and I have a small ring size (3). I like the big look and do not feel anxious about what others think etc so I definitely went big. As large as I want hahahaha. At the end of the day, do what makes you happy!!! All the best 

Post # 17
39 posts
Newbee

It sounds like you might be considering a moissy or white sapphire, so just know that at that size, it may be easier for some to tell it’s not a diamond. I had a 9mm OEC moissy but ended up selling it because I felt it got too much attention and showed too much warmth in certain light. I’m still trying to decide what I should get instead!

Post # 18
353 posts
Helper bee

I had no idea he got my diamond engagement ring, and it is over 5 carats total. 

He has no regrets, and I honestly felt that’s a little too much. I rather him spend money on the house downpayment, but he is happy, and of course, I love the ring!! 🙂 

Post # 19
200 posts
Helper bee

Not sure I understand why PP is assuming OP is looking at moissanite or white sapphire.

OP I second people suggesting you try out a 3 ct equivalent CZ for a week or so and see how you like it. If you can afford a 3 ct and love the look, I think you can get used to it day to day!

Also while a 3 ct round might look a little “much”, it’s a great size for other cuts like ovals, pearls, emeralds and asscher. I think for emerald and asscher cut having a greater ct weight really helps show off the beautiful steps in the cut.

Post # 20
868 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2015

I have a 4.67 carat center with a total 5.4 in the ring and have no issues or regrets wearing it on my size 4.5 finger. I seriously look at it and it doesn’t look at that big. Ring shrinkage does happen so I’m a definitely a fan of big stones lol 

Post # 22
91 posts
Worker bee

I have a 3.38ct solitaire and I often regret it. I’ve gotten a lot of awkward comments about it at work, even months after getting it. But then again, I’m very insecure about these things. 🙁

Post # 23
698 posts
Busy bee

also wanted to add (now that others have posted you’re looking at moissy/sapphire) I did try a 3 carat moissanite on and it was really pretty but I knew it wasn’t a diamond and I realized I was uncomfortable having a “sim” when I really was wanting a diamond.. and I definitely think the size of the stone made me more uncomfortable. Zero issues wearing my 3.3 carat diamond though so I definitely think it was a mental block with moissanite.

You may feel totally different but it sounds like you’re questioning how comfortable you’ll be with a large sim, so if that’s the case I’d stick to smaller moissy or a diamond you can afford! Totally just my opinion though, plenty of ladies here have gorgeous moissy’s and they rock them!

Post # 24
6037 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2016

Be aware- sapphire is heavier than diamond so a 3 carat (depending on the shape) might not be as large as you’re thinking. My stone is just under 3 carats but it faces up like a 2 carat diamond (about that). I do like smaller stones and settings AND if I were getting an emerald cut or oval or pear shaped stone, I would probably go for something larger than I’d do in a round.

Also- the sparkle of a moissy makes them seem bigger to me than they are, so it’s not just about how big (how many mm) they are.

I think you should definitely try things on- Order something from Berricle in the size you’re considering and see how you feel about it after wearing it for a while. Also, look at that sizing chart that people often share to look at what percentage of finger coverage a 3 carat/X mm stone would give you. I personally find that around 50% is a sweet spot for me but it varies from person to person.

Post # 25
Hostess
9602 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2014 - Chicago, IL

You’ve gotten a lot of really good advice. Something else to consider is the type of setting. A halo is going to make it even larger/more finger coverage while a cathedral solitaire may snag more easily or get caught on things depending  on the prongs. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors