(Closed) 3 cats too many?

posted 6 years ago in Pets
Post # 3
449 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

My FIs parents have 3 cats in a 3 bedroom condo and I don’t think it’s too many AT ALL…however, you should probably get a 2nd litter box…I read in a book that realistically, cat owners with multiple cats should have as many boxes as they have cats, but you could get away with two for 3 cats…congrats on deciding on a new addition! Everything else you’ll need, you already have…just be sure you keep the old cats separated from the new cat for a few days until they get used to his/her smell, there’s less likely to be a fight that way when they’re introduced to each other…

Post # 4
655 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2012

@chubbypanda:  I think your fine. People will just know you love cats.

I had 4 dogs and 2 cats living together at one stage. I would def get a second kitty litter box.

Post # 5
1975 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

@chubbypanda:  I have 2 kittens and they have 2 litter boxes. the ‘rule’ is actually 2 for the first cat and one extra for additional cats so 2 cats = 3 litterboxes. 3 cats = 4 litterboxes

My Fiance is afraid if he dies i will become crazy cat lady and not leave the house. because he has put his foot down at 2

Post # 6
145 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

@Pokemon:  That’s the ‘rule’ I’ve read as well, 1 litterbox for each cat and 1 spare, we have 3 litterboxes for out two cats.

3 is definitely not too many! I love cats and would adore to have a third one but we can’t really afford it with the dog, fish and kids in the future!

Post # 7
4047 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: January 2014

My next door neighbor started with three cats. She now has around 75, I’m guessing…

BUT I don’t think that will happen to you unless you are completely nuts in the head like her. LOL

Three is fine – but like PPs said, you’ll need another litter box. I’ve had two cats with one litter box, and even then we could have used a second. I think you can get away with just two though.

Post # 8
110 posts
Blushing bee

Never too many cats.

Post # 9
1318 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

Psh, I’ve had 7 at one time, so I would say no, lol. 

ETA: I hit crazy cat lady at an early age, lol. 

Post # 11
2359 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

i’m a little concerned about the yarn tied around it’s neck

Post # 12
1619 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

definitely not! We have 3 cats in a 3 bedroom apartment and we’re fine. We also only have 1 litterbox for them because we do not have any place other than the one the litterbox is already in to logically place 4 boxes. We scoop it multiple times a day though to make up for it. It really, really must be scooped at least 3 times a day if you only keep 1 box. 

Post # 13
1715 posts
Bumble bee

We have my two cats and his moms 4 cats all in the same house.

Granted I splurged for a cat genie (self cleaning litter box) with my tax return last year.

Post # 14
4656 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

3 cats isn’t too much. My parents have 3 in their apartment and they do fine, they have two large litterboxes and it’s enough as long as they scoop every day. It really depends on how much space you have though — a big house might need MORE actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP4NMoJcFd4

Post # 15
2372 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2018

@chubbypanda:  Awwwww!! I don’t mean to threadjack, but your Audrey looks JUST like our Bruce. <3

Post # 16
847 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2016

Not too many at all, as long as you get at least one more litter box.  I have three and trust me…you want more.

The topic ‘3 cats too many?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors