(Closed) 3 dogs?

posted 8 years ago in Pets
Post # 3
5148 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

I have 3.

Going from 1 to 2 isn’t as much of a change as going from 2 to 3.

It is a bit more work to have 3 than 2, there tends to be more “drama”. Just like kids, 2 get along, with 3 it ends up that sometimes 2 gang up on the other one. (It doesn’t help in my house that our rescue was older we we adopted him and is quite… moody. We think he had a rough life before we got him and he has some issues due to that.)

I will always have at least 2 dogs, I think 4 would be my limit. I grew up with lots of dogs, we always had 5-10 dogs when I was growing up (I grew up on a farm).

Post # 4
3363 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

We have 3… two labs and a beagle.  It was tougher than we thought going from 2 to 3.  And abbyful is right, there is drama.  They “argue.”  But we love them and can’t imagine life without them.

Post # 5
814 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

we have a chihuahua, a yorkie, and number 3 is a lab.. i had no idea what i was getting into with a big dog, so i think that 3 little ones would be okay!

Post # 6
2007 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

It is definitely more work going from 2 to 3 than it is going from 1 to 2.  In my experience, they become a “pack” at 3 and you have to work harder at obedience.  And like others said, if two of them aren’t ganging on up on the third then all three tend to gang up on an outsider.  Or other species.  My dogs’ prey drive definitely increased when there were three of them to egg each other on. 

Of course, my experience is with large rescue dogs so smaller ones without as much “interesting” background may be a lot easier. 

Post # 7
225 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

It could definitely work! We have had as many as four, and as long as they get along well and you are consistent with training and socializing, it is totally doable. I come from a family of doglovers / rescuers, so I might be a little biased.

Do your dogs get along with other dogs already / have they ever met the yorkipoo? I think it really could go either way……the new one could blend right into the family OR open up a whole host of behavior issues. Just depends!

Also, do you board them ever / often? Don’t forget about extra costs for vet and petcare!

@caitlanc: I definitely agree about 3 becoming a pack sometimes. My parents have three dogs right now… 2 medium/large sized rescues who have lived together with my family for over ten years + 1 smaller dog who came along a couple years ago. Its like the older ones decided to stop listening and behaving the same as they used to when the little one came along. All three gang up on animals/birds, other dogs, etc., can’t be around any other dogs (they freak if they even see any while on walks)….and the little one doesn’t let the older ones play with toys anymore. He is the only one allowed to play. Quite a disfunctional dog family…they need the dog whisperer!

Post # 8
103 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

We have three, and yes, it was his, mine, and ours. Going from 1 to 2 was easy, going from 2 to 3 has been a larger challenge. Dog #3 was rescued much older than the other two, so already had a lot of behaviors instilled in him that we don’t like. Dog #3 also is a much more troublesome breed (Jack Russell/ Corgi mix relative to golden mix and ACD mix) so that spelled trouble right there…

I definitely agree with previous posters that there can be a lot more drama and 2 will often gang up on the other (and which two are doing the arguing changes…). It’s a lot more drama and sometimes I want to ship #3 off to FI’s sister. Yesterday he upended a basket of potatoes, onion, and garlic on the floor! But most of the time I think it’s worth it. They’re more fun in a pack.

I think as long as you are comfortable with the personality traits of the new dog, are willing to be consistent with behavior, and are okay with extra boarding/vet costs associated with 3 dogs, that you will handle having 3 dogs.

Post # 10
1455 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

I have three! Yes, sometimes it’s hard. I think mostly because we live in such a small house and work so much. And the vet costs / BOARDING costs are a little daunting. But besides those things… I wouldn’t take it back! I love my three! Three is a great number and managability wise, it’s not that much different from two.

Love them 🙂

The topic ‘3 dogs?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors