(Closed) 3 Heirloom Stones- Need Setting Help?

posted 6 years ago in Rings
Post # 2
479 posts
Helper bee

View original reply
waitingtobeemrsS:  It is possible for the diamonds to match each other well. The main thing is if the face-up brilliance and color of each diamond matches, even if they don’t necessarily have the same clarity grading. A jeweler will definitely be able to tell you if the 3 would look good together, and they will weigh, measure, and estimate the quality to make sure they are appropriate for the ring you want. If the 2 smaller ones are .25ct and the larger one is anywhere from .50 – .75ct then that could be completely perfect for a 3 stone ring. As far as the budget, I think $3,000 is way too much considering you would be furnishing all the diamonds. Get lots of opinions! Don’t just go with what 1 jeweler says. If you are wanting rose gold, I would get quotes in 14K rose gold. It’s what most fine jewelry is made in and is affordable. There really is no price difference between metal colors if the gold purity is all the same, like 14K white, yellow or rose gold. The price changes when the metal purity changes, like goes up for 18KT and down for 10KT. Hope some of this helps!

Post # 3
3460 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2015

View original reply
waitingtobeemrsS:  If you like that setting its from Brian Gavin 🙂 http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/ Maybe you can get the diamonds looked at and either have Brian Gavin set them or order the setting from them and have someone else set them. I believe that setting is around $1500. I have a three stone and I know for a fact that the side diamonds are a different color grade than my center diamond. You can’t tell in person though so unless they are drastically different I wouldn’t worry too much! Such a great idea 🙂 and congrats on your upcoming engagement!

Post # 4
10544 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2013

A 3 stone would be a great way to incorporate all 3 stones! As long as the 2 smaller stones you have are around the same color range they should look fine, even if the larger diamond isnt an exact match. This will make an amazing family heirloom to pass down to your children or grandchildren! 

Post # 5
1731 posts
Bumble bee

View original reply
waitingtobeemrsS:  I have a friend with a three stone ring made with heirloom stones and one of the stones isn’t even the same cut as the other two. I think it’s two rounds and an oec, so one of the stones isn’t as brilliant as the other two. It’s not very noticeable and her ring is still amazing. I only noticed because she pointed it out and let me look at it close up. My point is that, while it would be ideal for all of the stones to be similar in color and brilliance, it’s not necessary to still have a gorgeous and sentimental ring! 

Post # 6
383 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2015

they can be beautiful together!

i have a custom 3-stone style, with 3 heirloom stones.  each is from a different era, two different cuts represented (Old European/Mine Cut, 2 Round Brilliants), all from strong women (two from my fiance’s family, the center stone and halo are from mine).  I designed the ring (using Microsoft Paint, lol), and had it made by a great jewelry designer on CustomMade.  It is 14k gold, and sparkles like it is on fire, but the setting only cost $800.IMG_20140807_175424photo2

Post # 7
302 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2017 - Red Rock Canyon, Las Vegas, NV

View original reply
steph_lady:  I LOVE your ring!

Post # 8
383 posts
Helper bee

View original reply
finnrose:  thank you!

Post # 9
4074 posts
Honey bee

View original reply
steph_lady:  really kool setting. 

View original reply
waitingtobeemrsS: I think that’s to much.  You could find one for less.  Just got to shop for it.  

Post # 10
255 posts
Helper bee

View original reply
waitingtobeemrsS:  I’m actually in a very similar position!  We found out that we’d have to pay much more to have a vintage stone reset than to purchase the moissanite ring I had original picked out. (In this particular case a the center stone of a soltiaire diamond ring that belong to my soon-to-be-fiance’s great grandmother, which is at the jewelers right now being reset!)

Conventional wisdom says for it to be worth resetting, the stone should be at least roughly 1 carat, but of course, that doesn’t account for semtimental attachment to old stones, so I say, screw conventional wisdom.

Shopping around is important, and you can always look to see if you can order a setting online and then have a stone reset locally, which would save you some money.  For example, you should check out James Allen (http://www.jamesallen.com) because they will make a setting and send it you to be be set locally if they know the exact dimentions of the center stone or certain retailers on etsy might also be able to accomedate you as well.  (I had picked out my ring initially at a place called Diamond Dove Jewelery (http://www.etsy.com/shop/DiamondDoveJewelry) and I know they will do a custom setting for you as well.

This is all made a bit trickier in that you have three separate loose stones you want to get set in a ring — are they all similar cuts?  

Post # 12
479 posts
Helper bee

View original reply
waitingtobeemrsS:  Awesome! Can’t wait to see a gorgeous ring on your finger!

Post # 13
383 posts
Helper bee

View original reply
waitingtobeemrsS:  one of the main ways my setting was so much cheaper was that i refused to be swayed on price.  the site i used allowed me to set my ultimate budget and design, then designers bid fro my project.  i talked to several designers before finding my guy, and the others quoted me 1,500-4,000 (while my max was $1,000 for everything).  I was also abel to get a better price because i took a major risk, and went with a jewelry designer that was not nearby, so consider that as well (i live in TN, my ring was made in PA, i had to ship my stones, but everything worked out!)

The topic ‘3 Heirloom Stones- Need Setting Help?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors