(Closed) 3 HERNIATED DISCS HELP!!!!

posted 4 years ago in Fitness
Post # 4
520 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2013 - Callanwolde Fine Arts Center

Honestly, the health of your back is far more important than your weight right now and I think you need to feel okay with that. If you really want to get some exercise in, see if your doctor is okay with you swimming. Its pretty low impact and a great workout.

Post # 5
2300 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

can you do low weight free weights with your arms while sitting? just be extra careful with your diet to reduce weight gain, but your recovery is much more important!

Post # 6
605 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 1993

I just had surgery for 2 herniated discs.  I had pain for about 18 months. I tried everything. Nothing worked. My friend had surgery and convinced me to go see her neuro sugeron. I had surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago. I feel great. Here’s the catch you can reherniate your discs. i love to work out but I can’t right now. He also told me never never lift more than 20 lbs again.  He also said DO NOT do Zumbz or Crossfit.  Now I am happy doing Pilates and I wil be going to a sports medicine physical therapisT so that I can learn what I can and can’t do in the gym.  Am I happy about that ? No I love lifting weights, but I am happy I am pain free and I am convinced I will find things I can do  in the gym to keep me fit. By the way he did say elliptical is o k. Good luck. 

P.S.  make sure your neuro surgeon is board certified

Post # 7
394 posts
Helper bee

@Missprincessmegs:  i am a crossfitter & ive been injured before & not been able to workout. i kind of feel like no one understands what not being able to crossfit means when you haven’t actually experienced it. lol.

how long did he say you absolutely cannot workout? i understand staying off your injury(especially one this serious) for a while, but can you do yoga in the meantime or some stretches at least?

also, you could talk to him about can you still row or something within your box?

***also very important is keeping your diet in check during this time***

and why i realize not all crossfitters are paleo…if you aren’t this would be a really good time to get on that boat..it will help you in times of not being able to be mobile.

talk to your physical therapist too. a good friend of mine is one & when i got shin splits i went to her for advice. tell them you want to be active and understand you cant front squat right now, you would like to be doing SOMETHING!!

good luck little lady!!!

Post # 8
188 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

Once you get the go-ahead to work out again, I strongly suggest Bikram Yoga. It is very, very intense, so you won’t get bored or feel like it’s not a realy workout. More importantly, it is great for the spine and for posture. Countless people have healed their severe back pain with it. Just make sure ou check with your doctor before you start!

The topic ‘3 HERNIATED DISCS HELP!!!!’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors