(Closed) 3 Letters of Rec for Job Application???

posted 5 years ago in Career
Post # 3
2214 posts
Buzzing bee

I’m a lawyer, and when I was applying for clerkships, it was standard to provide 3 letters of recommendations. I’m applying for professor positions now, and 3 references seems to be standard.

I think if you want the job, then ask for the letters. If you don’t really care, then don’t bother. But it doesn’t seem like they will consider your application without them.

Post # 4
12629 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

If you need the job, I’d ask for them.  But I’ve never, ever had to get letters of recommendation for a job, just the names of references.

Post # 5
2622 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

Its common in some professions, like Education, and very uncommon in others, like Business. No idea about Lawfirms. It could be that he is old school or that it is common. (EDIT: I have never needed them in the 5 jobs I have had in Finance and then Marketing up through manager level)

Eitherway, go ahead and get them. It would be ideal to get people different than the references, but if you can’t I wouldnt sweat it.

Post # 6
7908 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2012 - Pelican Grand Beach Resort

I’m not in law, but in my field, job application always require 3, sometimes 4, confidential letters of recommendation passed on directly to the hiring committee or through a service (like Interfolio).

Post # 8
2214 posts
Buzzing bee

@futuremrsk18:  I will say that when I applied to firm jobs, it was pretty rare for them to ask for letters of recommendation. It was usually just 3 references, but it did happen on occsaion. You’ll probably need letters of rec somewhere down the line anyway, so it might not be a bad idea to get your recommenders to just get one written now.

Post # 10
7908 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2012 - Pelican Grand Beach Resort

@futuremrsk18:  Yes, it can be those same three people.

Post # 11
2214 posts
Buzzing bee

@futuremrsk18:  That’s exactly what I would do. I find it odd that he asked for references and recommendations. It’s usually one or the other since the people are the same. Weird.

The topic ‘3 Letters of Rec for Job Application???’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors