I’m glad that you seem stronger today. I know you don’t think he is abusive, but I want you to read this and see if it applies to you:
what is emotional abuse?
There is no universally accepted definition of emotional abuse. Like other forms of violence in relationships, emotional abuse is based on power and control. The following are widely recognized as forms of emotional abuse:
– refusing to acknowledge a person’s presence, value or worth; communicating to a person that she or he is useless or inferior; devaluing her/his thoughts and feelings. Example: repeatedly treating a child differently from siblings in a way that suggests resentment, rejection or dislike for the child.
– insulting, ridiculing, name calling, imitating and infantilizing; behaviour which diminishes the identity, dignity and self-worth of the person. Examples: yelling, swearing, publicly humiliating or labelling a person as stupid; mimicking a person’s disability; treating a senior as if she or he cannot make decisions.
denying emotional responsiveness
– failing to provide care in a sensitive and responsive manner; being detached and uninvolved; interacting only when necessary; ignoring a person’s mental health needs. Examples: ignoring a child’s attempt to interact; failing to show affection.
Emotional abuse follows a pattern; it is repeated and sustained. If left unchecked, abuse does not get better over time. It only gets worse;
– Like other forms of violence in relationships, those who hold the least power and resources in society, for example, women and children, are most often emotionally abused;
– Emotional abuse can severely damage a person’s sense of self-worth and perception.
characteristics of an abuser:
They dismiss your difficulties or issues as unimportant or an overreaction;
– They do not listen to you;
– They always put their needs before yours;
– You “walk on eggshells” in an effort not to upset them;
– They never take responsibility for hurting others;
– They blame everyone and everything else for any unfortunate events in their lives.