(Closed) 3 months pay?

posted 8 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
Hostess
18637 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

I think that’s pretty dumb honestly.  I think it was thought up by the jewelry companies to get people to spend more.  Just because you make a lot doesn’t mean you have to spend a lot on a ring.  We spent a lot less.

Post # 4
2714 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

No, I think that is a ridiculous ploy by the jewelry companies to get you to spend more money. I have a gorgeous ring and it was way less than 3 months of my FI’s salary. 🙂

I woulda been hella pissed if he spent that much money on a ring!

Post # 5
170 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

You should spend what you are comfortable with. I think that the 3 months pay thing is one of those “wedding myths” meant to make people spend more money than maybe they would otherwise.

Post # 6
548 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2017

The two month guideline was brought to us be DeBeers and no one else.  If my Fiance spent that much money on a ring I’d have smacked him then said no, and he knows it.  I’m not trying to offend anyone with a larger more expensive ring, but I’m in grad school and that money could go to something more important.

Post # 7
9053 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2010

Even this USED to be two months pay, but I have heard recently that it’s bumped up to three.

Lets’s just say mine was about one paycheck, so 1/6 of this “guideline”.

Post # 8
548 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2017

@sapphiresun…wow…I didn’t realize it went up.

Post # 9
7300 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2012

@a2joy: Debeers created that so men would spend more on a diamond. I would seriously smack the crap out of Fiance if he spent three months worth of paychecks on a ring. 

Post # 10
10287 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2011

The 3 month concept is ridiculous. I would be pissed if Fiance fell for that BS.

Post # 11
3148 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

3 months is excessive and is not a requirement.  Everyone just chooses now based on what they can do, which is great.  We can use more money in our pockets right now with the economy, ect.

Post # 12
389 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

It’s bullshit.  I mean, if a guy WANTS to spend that much and is able to do so without hurting financially then so be it.  But if my Fiance had spent three months pay on a silly ring…omg, I would have had an aneurysm!

Post # 13
459 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

I would not have been happy if my husband spent 2 or 3 months pay on my engagement ring! If we are about to combine our finances and start a life together, I would not want him to spend that much on one piece of jewelry. 

Post # 14
2090 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Its not a guide that anybody I know of goes by. My husband spent about 2-3 weeks salary on my e-ring, and we didn’t think of it that way (in terms of ring to salary ratio)….was just the amount he felt comfortable spending at that time.

Post # 15
218 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I think it is just a marketing tool Debeers used to get men to buy a bigger ring. Since Debeers is so well known, they use that advantage and create a standard and guys, not knowing much on diamonds, might have that stuck in their head. I guess for men it’s more of self pride maybe? so that may be why debeers advertises with that angle.

However, I think it’s all a load of crap! There is no set guideline on how much your ring should cost. It’s a symbol of love and commitment, and you cant put a price tag on that. For me, a man making a commitment is worth more than anything else, and that alone is a HUGE step for them.

When we first got engaged, we didnt even have a ring! we ended up buying plain gold band. 10 months later he got me an engagement ring that I absolutely love…regardless of the price. For him, he wanted to get it because he knew i liked e-rings.. even though I never showed it or complained with my plain band. So it meant alot to him to get the woman he loves something she wanted..

Post # 16
1940 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I agree with others that it sounds like a marketing tool.  I am happy to report that my husband paid less than 2 weeks worth of his salary on my engagement ring.  It’s exactly what I wanted.

The topic ‘3 months pay?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors