(Closed) 3 month's salary on a ring, reasonable or not?

posted 5 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
971 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2013

I don’t agree with the 3 months salary crap either.  Whatever your SO feels comfortable spending is what should be spent.  If my ex spent that much on my old ring, I would have had one hell of a ring!

Post # 4
3170 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

I really don’t think it’s about what the fiance chooses to spend on the ring. I think it’s all about what the bride expects. If the woman has some expectation on what the guy should spend there is a problem.

If my husband wanted to spend 30,000 on a ring that’s great and if he wanted to spend 1,000 that would be just as great.

Post # 5
1839 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

I think 3 months salary is way too much to spend on a ring. then again, i didn’t want a large/expensive ring anyway.

Post # 6
1926 posts
Buzzing bee

Personally, I think it’s nuts. My “three month salary” rule would have equalled about $9000. My ring was $1100 and that seened extravagant to me. 

Post # 7
2270 posts
Buzzing bee

If it works for the couple, then I think it’s great. That doesn’t work for SO and I an luckily for us, my dream ring will only cost 3 weeks worth of income.

Post # 8
90 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: December 2013

ummmm…no.

Unless your mortgage is paid, the kids are fed, your retirement fund is healthy… You get the picture. I think the 2 or 3 month salary rule is nuts. It’s an object. A small diamond ring doesn’t mean the commitment is any less than a huge honkin’ rock.

Post # 9
2170 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

@Lalaine:  Omg! I have always thought that this is ridiculously foolish and I have wondered if anyone actually follows this. Who comes up with this stuff? I would absolutely KILL my SO if he spent three months salary on an e-ring for me. My dream ring is about two weeks pay. For three month worth of his salary we could buy a brand new car outright.

Post # 10
1729 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

This rule is fro the 50’s when people made like $100 a week and everything cost less.

Post # 11
2926 posts
Sugar bee

I think it’s unreasonable. He probably gave 1.5 month’s salary’s worth but I love my ring and would have been happy with anything. We are essentially just starting out so it is unreasonable for him to spend THAT much on a ring.

Post # 12
11760 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

I didn’t really have an expectation of what he should spend.  I had no idea what rings/diamonds cost before we went shopping.  Before we started looking at anything, he told the jeweler (in front of me) what he was comfortable spending.  It ended up being around 3 months salary, but he threw the number out and that was that.  At the end of the day, he wanted me to get what I loved and would make me happy within a reasonable price point.  

Post # 13
2420 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

Against. SO and I talked about it and came up with an amount that we could agree on. I would never in a million years expect him to spend that much.

Post # 14
1069 posts
Bumble bee

If that really happened I would have a ring that costs more than my car (and I drive a luxury car!)

I think the guy should spend whatever he is comfortable spending on the ring. It’s when the bride expects it that I think there’s a problem.

Post # 16
159 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

For me I think this is a very outdated tradition.  I would kill FI if he spent his 3 months salary on my ring!

The topic ‘3 month's salary on a ring, reasonable or not?’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors