3 months to go and feeling down

posted 2 years ago in Dress
Post # 16
1226 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

Whatever you do, do not add flutter sleeves or any sleeves.  The flutter sleeves will just make you look wide and cap sleeves draw attention to the widest part of the arm. The majority of the people at your wedding know you so no need to feel embarrassed or self conscious about your arms.  I also agree to wear an aline slip underneath the dress.  It will keep you cool and makes it easier to walk in the dress.  Your hair style choice and floral inspo pictures will look great with your dress.  don’t worry, you’ve got this.  Just keep dieting and working out for your well being and not for the weddingl.

Post # 17
7660 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 1997

First, you are beautiful. If there are issues about how you look in the dress, the fault lies with the dress and not your body. I think the dress is lovely without the belt, but perhaps the shapewear you are wearing cuts you across the middle, as it almost looks like the dress has a seam there when I’m not sure it actually does. The PP’s suggestion of a longline/low back bra that extends into a corset might work to change that cut-in-half look. 

Post # 18
4075 posts
Honey bee

I’m so sorry you feel so despondent. I actually think your dress is really beautiful and looks lovely on you I prefer no belt though.  Most dresses look better minus the belt in my view.  I disagree with other posters about the flutter sleeves. I know I always feel better in a sleeve and I suspect you are the same. A light tuelle sleeve will look pretty and if it doesn’t look right then just don’t sew them   in. Instead you could have a soft, tulle wrap for coverage.  I say give it a month and then if you still feel bad in your dress then see if you can find a last minute replacement …but that would sort of be a shame when the one you have is so lovely 

Post # 19
2842 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

View original reply
laur0918 :  I was going to suggest the same as the others about lowering the neckline and adding a crinoline, but then I saw @lifetimegoals’s post and now I’m not so sure.

I just think that the dress is not the best one for your figure and it would not be for a lot of figures. Higher necklines are hard to wear if you have boobs, and the illusion back means the dress isn’t going to be holding you in very much due to the lack of structure/boning al the way around the dress.

It sounds to me like you went dress shopping convinced you were a “big girl” and therefore that you needed to be covered up. I say screw that. I can tell from the back view of you that you actually have an hourglass figure – a really small waist and lovely curves – but because the dress is a-line, fairly unstructured and flares out at the waist, we don’t get to see how small your waist is and I think it’s actually making you look larger than you actually are. Having seen @lifetimegoals’ photos, I’m convinced that the same effect is happening with you.

This may be completely unhelpful, since you may not have the money to get another dress, but if you did, I’d be looking for something more fitted, like a trumpet style. If you can’t bring yourself to look beyond a-lines, then at least a-lines that are fitted from waist to hip and that flare out at the hip. And something with good internal structure to it. 

Post # 20
338 posts
Helper bee

I echo what other’s have said about not adding a belt or sleeves! It sounds very stressful to try to find another dress but I am blown away by how different the dress looked compared to another dress on @lifetimegoal’s photos! I think without belt or sleeves your dress looks very pretty on you though! 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors