(Closed) 3 Officiants? Logistical Nightmare or Awesomesauce?

posted 6 years ago in Ceremony
  • poll: What do you think?
    Go for it! More the merrier! : (1 votes)
    10 %
    Go with original friend only. : (2 votes)
    20 %
    Find a professional. : (7 votes)
    70 %
    Other : (0 votes)
  • Post # 4
    4676 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

i saw something like this on big bang theory.  It looked kinda cool.  Legally one officiant will sign the marriage certificate.  So you only need one licenced officiant, everyone else there is just filling in.  

Post # 5
    963 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2011

I feel like it could work if there was a “good reason” for it (like religious reasons). But in your case it just seems awkward. As a guest, it would seem really strange that you had so many people up there. Switching off would also interrupt the flow and continuity of the ceremony.

Can you just pick one person who is super close to both of you and ask them to do it? If you explained the situation to your original friend (that someone very close offered to do the ceremony), he’d probably understand.

Post # 6
    3886 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

To me, it sounds like a logistical nightmare. I’d opt for having one, solitary, professional officiant, and finding another role for these honored folks to play.  As a guest, I might find it a little over-the-top or overly complicated which, no matter how well-intentioned, often brings up images of Bridezilla rather than a couple who simply has a lot of special people in their lives.  

I am a big fan of the K.I.S.S. method of planning: Keep It Simple, Sweetheart!

FWIW my professional, non-denominational, non-religious officiant has been the biggest “bang for the buck” amongst all the wedding expenses. She has been absolutely stellar at walking us through how to put together the ceremony we want, describing our options, giving us templates, and helping us do online research; she also has been a gem in helping us figure out how exactly to get and file our license (our city government website is pretty to look at but horrible in terms of actually telling us what to do).  I would not trade her oversight for the world— what she is doing is far more than just officiating, and her experience has been a huge resource for us. If you select a professional officiant, their experience will help make sure you end up with a really great ceremony that is a true reflection of you and your fi and your relationship. You can have just about anyone ordained and legally able to perform marriages but you can’t have just about anyone provide this kind of advice.

Post # 7
    5547 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: December 2011

I get having more than one person doing the ceremony if like, one is a priest and one was a rabbi or, one was religious and the other secular but three secular people doing one ceremony just seems awkward and a nightmare waiting to happen.

Post # 9
    4 posts
    Wannabee
    • Wedding: October 2012

We are having two officiants. Both of our fathers. His will do the opening speech. My father was the one who got ordained through the universal life church so he gets the official stuff. Just one then the other. No switching off or anything complicated. If you choose to have all three i would just start with one a middle and an ending person. Back and forth seems complicated.

The topic ‘3 Officiants? Logistical Nightmare or Awesomesauce?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors