(Closed) 3 photographers for the price of 1? Irrational freakout!

posted 7 years ago in Photos/Videos
  • poll: Would this bother you?
    No way! That is so awesome! Your photos will be fantastic! : (26 votes)
    87 %
    Yes! I would be totally freaked out. : (4 votes)
    13 %
  • Post # 3
    4336 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

wow, yeah, unless you’re the kind of bride who is paranoid that they won’t get every single shot, I would definitely call up the photographers and request that only one of them comes. (But keep the 2 videographers?) Do they all realize that you only have 49 people coming?

Post # 4
    405 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

After I saw that you are only having 49 people at your wedding, I would be kind of freaked out, but I think that in the end it will be fine!  It will be nice that you can get pretty much any picture you want! 

Post # 5
    1109 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

Theres no reason to freak out, just call and say you only need two photographers and one videographer.

Post # 6
    6512 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: September 2012

It will be fine.  Good photographers are unobtrusive, and if anyone makes a snarky remark 1) Blithely mention your awesome luck to get such a good deal; and 2) they are a jerk anyways 🙂

Post # 7
    399 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2012

I thought this sounded like a great deal until you said how many guests you’re having. I think your instincts are right – this is way too many people for such a small wedding with no bridal party. It’s seriously going to do a number on the intimacy level and it could very well make your guests uncomfortable. Not to mention there’s not going to be much for 3 photographers and 2 videographers to do with only 49 guests. The other red flag in my mind as a professional photographer is how IMPOSSIBLE it’s going to be for the videographers to avoid getting the photographers in their shots and vice versa. This is going to be a nightmare for them, trust me. I shot a wedding on my own with 2 videographers and about the same number of guests and it was a 7 hour battle to stay out of each others way and not get in each others shots.

I think people often think that more means better, and in this case it certainly doesn’t. I actually worry about why the primary photographer even thinks it’s a good idea to have 3 photographers at a 50 person event if they’re used to shooting weddings alone. This is super intrusive and makes their job and the videographers job much harder. Ultimately I think you’ll end up with a whole lot of images of the exact same thing from a slightly different spot and be sacrificing the comfort of your guests who might be overwhelmed with 3 flashes and on-camera video lights firing at them every second. At the very very least I’d tell them to leave the 3rd photographer at home.

Post # 8
    171 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: February 2009

WAY too many people shooting that wedding, in my opinion. They’ll be standing around with nothing to do.

Post # 10
    399 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2012

@pohget: Can you have the assistant be like a photo booth? Like stick he/she in one spot and throw together a background and have people who want to go over get a photo? Otherwise you can absolutely ask them to not have that person shooting, because it’s going to be way too much.

Post # 11
    377 posts
    Helper bee

I’m going to be the one who seems to think this isn’t really a big deal. I had a small wedding too, while it was bigger than yours it was still only 70 people, and I had the exact same entourage as you. And nobody noticed!

They won’t all be together at all moments so I never felt surrounded by them, and honestly I rarely noticed them there. At the end of the day I am thrilled that I had them there because there were all able to capture moments from different vantage points and we ended up with some really great shots as a result.

One photographer took the role of setting up the shots, so we were focused on this one photographer most of the day. The other photographer would be taking candid photos inbetween or detail shots around us and we never noticed her. The assistant would be playing with different tools to change the lighting or would be walking around looking for neat spots to take other photos.

Our videographers were great too because one stayed with us during our photo time and so we have video of us goofing off for that etc. The other videographer was in the cocktail hour or focusing on our guests so we got to see those moments that we werent present for.

Unless you really feel uncomfortable having them there, I would just be happy that they can all make it and try not to focus on them. You will end up with a more complete recording of your day that way and they can all bring a different style to their work as well 🙂

Post # 12
    1405 posts
    Bumble bee

The 3rd is probably an assistant in training (not getting paid).  I hope they are not “charging photographers” to shoot with them at weddings as a workshop and making money off this.  I would just go with the 2……esp with your size

Post # 13
    1405 posts
    Bumble bee

The 3rd is probably an assistant in training (not getting paid).  I hope they are not “charging photographers” to shoot with them at weddings as a workshop and making money off this.  I would just go with the 2……esp with your size

Post # 14
    33 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: August 2011

My wedding had 48 people at it, no videographer, and two photographers with an assistant.  I can’t vouch for the videographer situation, but I promise you if they are professional they will be unobtrusive.  If you think it’s too much, though, I say go with your gut and politely request that they par the team down.

Post # 15
    231 posts
    Helper bee

I never really notice the photogs at weddings. I’m paying attention to the bride and the good company. I say go with it and be happy to get tripple the angles!

Post # 16
    231 posts
    Helper bee

Oh! btw I’m having 75 people at the wedding, and 3 photogs. One real one, sounds like one is training, and the other one is her high school aged daugther who tags along taking pictures like an assistant. No video people.

The topic ‘3 photographers for the price of 1? Irrational freakout!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors