(Closed) 3 prongs?!

posted 5 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
857 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

It’s not for me. I’m also concerned about the durability of it. I have close to a 2 ct. in a 4 prong setting, and it’s already come out once. When I took it in for repair, the jeweler strongly suggested I go to a 6 prong setting. 

Post # 4
265 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2015

I love how it looks, but I’d be worried about security too. It helps, though, that the prongs seem really wide/sturdy.

Post # 5
3228 posts
Sugar bee

@cirk:  I don’t like that at all. Sorry. Not to mention I’d be terrified to lose the diamond.

Post # 6
3618 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

I like it, but I would also be concerned with how secure it is. I have a 6 prong ering and I have knocked one of the prongs loose so I would be too clumsy to wear a 3 prong ring for sure!

Post # 7
3849 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: December 2004

I don’t like the way it looks.  I looks like an arrow or something.

Post # 9
2270 posts
Buzzing bee

If you think about it, it’s like a semi-bezel setting, and the prongs seem to occupy more of the circumference of the ring than four prongs would. I think for a stone that isn’t too large, three prongs would be nice and secure.

Post # 10
71 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: February 2013

3 prongs are going to be less secure than more, since if one gets bent/broken, the stone wouldnt be held in well at all! But in this case, the prongs have been made really sturdy, so the chances of that happening seem pretty small.

I’ve never seen anything like it before, it’s really unique, and I like the twist. It leaves a lot of the stone open at the side, which means you could chip the girdle, but no more than for a semi-bezel setting.

The topic ‘3 prongs?!’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors