(Closed) 3 Stone Rings, Anyone?

posted 11 years ago in Rings
  • poll: Which is prettier, a 3 stone ring with all diamonds the same size or center one bigger?

All diamonds equal size.

Center diamond bigger.

Other, I will explain below.

• Post # 17
    18628 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2009

I have a three stone princess cut engagement ring.  Here is a pic from the side.

Post # 18
    1641 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2011

Mine is 1.1 in the center and sides are .7 tcw. I also have three little stones on each side of the center three, (for a total of 1.99). This is just wanted, so I just love it.

Post # 19
    1675 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2010

My center stone is bigger, which is exactly what I wanted and the look I prefer ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 21
    1456 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: January 2015

Head over to http://www.pricescope.com and peruse the forums there.  I agree with you that if you want your center stone larger (which I personally think is a lot prettier) you’re either going to have to buy a 1.5+ ct stone, or decline your mother’s offer ๐Ÿ™

Also, by becoming a pricescope forum member, you get discounts from whiteflash, Brian Gavin Diamonds, Good Old Gold, and I think a few other reputable diamond sellers.

If there isn’t a huge emotional connection to the earrings, for example, passed down for generations, maybe you could see if you could trade in the one carat stones for something a little smaller, and use the “credit” towards a center stone purchase.  I have no idea if a vendor will do this, but I think if you were to talk to a customer service rep and tell them about your problem and let them know you want to buy the center stone from them, they’ll be able to work something out.  I know the three vendors I mentioned have good upgrade policies, so maybe they’d do a “downgrade” policy too.  It’s worth a shot.

P.S. A 1.5 ct, GIA certified, VS2, I color, Very Good cut (all of which are pretty middle-of-the-road) from whiteflash is $8700 

Post # 23
    1456 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: January 2015

A one carat center stone with a couple of .3-.5 side stones would be gorgeous.  Then you can make a pretty pendant or bracelet with the other 1 ct!

Post # 24
    673 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

I love the look of a large center stone and too much smaller ones on each side. If I were designing the ring for me to wear, I would use the 1 carat as a center stone, make the other one carat into a pendant, and have two delicate diamonds on each side of the center stone. So I guess I vote largest in center.

Post # 25
    673 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

Goldfishpie- I should have read this post more carefully. I vote with your vote! Yay for pendants. Someday I will have one ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 26
    995 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2009

I prefer the larger center stone. Here’s mine.

Post # 27
    111 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: October 2009

I have one too and I love the center stone bigger than the 2 sides. Here’s mine…

Post # 28
    1641 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2011

Post # 29
    14 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: September 2010

Umm.. 1 kt on each side seems like it might be a lot…may overwhelm the center stome…plus, I thought that the 3 stone rings were given more for anniversaries?  I guess I am more of a classic solitare gal for the engagement ring, and if I were were given a set of diamond earrings I’d happily wear them in my lobes ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 30
    52 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: September 2008

Well, my vote is all 3 the same size, because mine is all 3 the same, with 4 smaller stones down each side.  The difference between mine and most other three stones though is mine is not held in by prongs, but rather bars (Think tension but with a basket underneath) – it sounds weird, but its beautiful.  I think it is a bit more unique when they are the same size because as you can see – most people have it with a larger centre stone.

@ms.zinnia – take a look at bellnga’s ring if you want to see a 3 stone with 1 carat side stones- her ring is HUGE! (beautiful though!)

Post # 31
    1927 posts
    Buzzing bee

I have a three stone ring too.  My center stone really stands out though because it’s much larger than the sides and also a different shape.  If you won’t be able to afford a nice quality 1+ carat for the center I love the idea of using one of your grandmother’s earrings as your center stone and the other as a pendant and then buying new side stones.  A girlfriend of mine has a round center with pear sides.. absolutely stunning.

Here is mine.. center is 3 carat radiant and sides are each .5 trillions

The topic ‘3 Stone Rings, Anyone?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors