(Closed) 3 week trip to Europe for our honeymoon! need help figuring out what to do!

posted 6 years ago in Honeymoons
Post # 16
11268 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2012

shopaholic85:  it sounds like a great time.  i do have to agree with pp that warn you against trying to see too much in a 3 week period.  please remember that there is a time difference and you will have some jet lag on your first day. 

i loved london and there is sooo much to see and do.  a lot has been mentioned already but i also loved visiting westminster abby and the tower of london.  we also enjoyed the jack the ripper tour one evening (it’s short and gives you something to do in the evening).  we did a lot of walking and took the tube.  honestly, 3 days will not be enough for this city.

i would seriously consider saving belgium/netherlands and swizerland for another trip and save your time for italy and greece.  if you want to go to france, you may want to spend a few days there and hit paris before travelling on to italy.

i haven’t been to rome but my dh has and he suggested at least 4 or 5 days minimum just for this city.

i am sure that you want to see as much as possible on your trip in that 3 week period but please don’t try to jam pack so much into it.  you will feel so rushed and not enjoy it as much as you could if you had a few days to just “enjoy” your honeymoon.

Post # 17
41 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2014

I am European heritage, and did a 8 week backpacking trip through Europe in 2009, so if you have any further questions, feel free to shoot me a message.

Athens: 5 days is probably too long. I suggest 2 days max, then either moveon to an island or another city. Naxos was a really nice, scenic and affrodable with nice beaches. Relatively close to the mainland.

Netherlands: Utrectis a really cute little town, and a transportation hub. Definitely worth a stop. Also love Delft, Leiden. Amsterdam is neat to walk around in as well. I am Dutch, so if you want more advice, let me know.

Belguim: I found Brussels underwhelming. Loved Bruges.

Italy: not sure what you are looking for, but Cinque Terre was AMAZING. Cute little towns perched on teh cliffs alonside the Mediterranean coast, beautiful beaches, hiking, amazing food…

DEFINITELY look into a eurail pass, and weigh pros and cons of flying vs. train for larger distances. I will say that I will NEVER fly with Ryanair again. Ever. Other people swear by it though.

I also recommend AirBNB.com for accomodations.  

Post # 18
1987 posts
Buzzing bee

shopaholic85:  I made my initial suggestions with the assumption that your itinerary was more set than it was.  I can only speak with any real detail to travel in Italy, but, as others have said, each region is practically a different country (because at various points in history they were different countries!) and Rome is the most overwhelming city I’ve ever visited (I’ve been in huge cities where nothing is written in the Latin alphabet and felt less disoriented).  You could spend four days there easily. 

I think that trains offer a flexibility and a dignity that modern air travel–let alone air travel on RyanAir and the like–sorely lacks, so I would go that route.  CapitaineTrain can help you with many routings that either end or originate in France or Germany and Trenitalia is the site to go to if you want to book trains in Italy.  (As I’m sure you know, EuroStar and Thalys offer connections among London, Paris, Brussels, etc.)  If you book in advance–and tickets for the French trains are usually initially released 90 days out–the rates aren’t even that bad; for example, CapitaineTrain is quoting me 60 EUR for a first-class TGV seat from Paris to Torino (the trip is six hours) and 45 EUR for a first-class TGV seat from Paris to Milano (just over seven hours) for a trip I’d like to take toward the end of June.  It’s easy to take a Frecce from either Torino or Milano, but especially Milano, to all major Italian cities, including Rome and Venice.

Post # 19
2 posts
Wannabee

Congrats. Will you be posting pictures? Italy can be dangerous, but if you stay in the touristy areas you will be fine! 🙂

Post # 20
4028 posts
Honey bee

Commenting to follow. We are planning a three week trip to Europe for March 2015 and I am may steal some ideas from your thread. 

Post # 21
1987 posts
Buzzing bee

OP, unless you have intentions of running illicit goods for the ‘Ndrangheta or trying to mix it up with Roma and Lazio ultras (or of trying to fight Forza Nuova members–though that would be a noble cause) you and your Fiance should only have to worry about pickpockets in Italy (or a transportation strike, ha!).  Italy is perfectly safe; even their many protests follow a certain sort of order, and, while most of the police forces can sometimes appear ineffectual, they are good at keeping clueless tourists away from political protests that might get a little hairy.  Please do not worry. 

Post # 22
256 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2012 - Motor museum

i am English 🙂 st Giles hotel in London is ideal. About £80 per night and it is very central. Tower of London and London aquarium are v interesting. Pick my brain if you like 

Post # 23
601 posts
Busy bee

That sounds exhausting. Awesome, yes, but exhausting.

Post # 24
358 posts
Helper bee

shopaholic85:  

London: Westiminster Abby is an absolute must.  We have been to London several times and we visit The Abby every trip.  St. Pauls is also amazing.  Definitely take a walk down Mount Street and and check out all the beautiful boutiques.  The Eye is also pretty neat even though it’s a little touristy.  I also love the National Gallery.  Ohh, Parliment too.  Ahhh, there so much to do there London is probably one of my favorite cities! 🙂

Italy (we just went for 3 weeks this past November): Venice is “meh”.  It can get really smelly in the warmer months.  I would much rather do Florence/Tuscany.  Rome is great too and there is so much to do.  We were there for a week and didn’t get a chance to do everything we wanted.  Definitely plan ahead though – they have this weird “siesta” during the middle of the day and a lot of the sights close for a few hours in the middle of the day.  Vatican City is great – which will easily take up an entire day.  I really liked the Pantheon and the Colosseum.  What ever you do; DO NOT PAY TO GO INTO THE FORUM.  It is an absolute disaster.  Read the one star reviews of TripAdvisor (Paul M.’s 1 star review hit the nail on the head!)  Also a “5 star” hotel in Rome is the equivalent of a 2 star hotel in the states.  

Greece: Absolutely amazing.  I highly recomment doing some of the Islands if you can.  Museums and Acropolis and great.

Post # 25
1987 posts
Buzzing bee

GG_Vega:  I actually have some sympathy with many of the complaints about the management of the Colosseum/Forum/Palatine site in that TripAdvisor review but there are a lot of resources available for free on the internet that can help someone prepare to visit the Forum (http://dlib.etc.ucla.edu/projects/Forum is the Digital Forum hosted by UCLA).  I would hate for people to miss a site that I think is one of the most interesting in the city!  You know what, Bees?  I’ll put this offer out here: if you’re going to be in Rome/Venice/Florence for a honeymoon and know that you’re going to want to visit some specific buildings, churches or otherwise, PM me and if you’re going to any sites I know particularly well, I’ll prepare some guide notes for you.

Heck, if you’re going to be in Italy this summer, PM me and if our dates/places overlap, I’ll give you and your spouse a guided tour of a site or two. 

(Why should you care what I have to say?  I have a Ph.D. in a relevant field and experience giving tours through these cities to groups.  I will say that my strength is in placing buildings in an historical and social context, not in discussing their engineering and in exhaustively describing every single decorative detail, as I’m not an art historian.  I love these cities and their buildings and I would love to make someone’s honeymoon just a little more special in whatever way I can!)

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by  MarriedToMyWork. Reason: because the board ate half my reply!
Post # 26
1377 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

Switzerland is gorgeous – last time I was there, we stayed in this beautiful bed and breakfast in the Alps. the most dangerous part was not hitting a cow on the windy narrow roads! 

I really recommend just winding your way through the Alps for those three days – hiking or just going on a road trip. There was a little cheese shop we found that had the most delicious fresh cheeses, a cute woodworking shop I bought a small wood motorcycle – every part moved! 

It would be a lovely place to simply relax, unwind, and enjoy the beauty of the country itself. 

Post # 27
3139 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

We are heading to London UK for 3 weeks in September for our honeymoon too. We will visiting my wife’s family at the same time. 6 days in London then travelling to several locations in the UK. We purchased the city pass for london and a heritage pass, and an open bus tour  with afternoon tea at Kennsigton palace. We will also purchase the London eye fast track tickets in advance. 

Post # 28
50 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

Just to echo what others have said – in terms of Belgium, visit Bruges – gorgeous city to explore!

Also, France depends which part – I loved Pere La Chase (may be spelt wrong!) in Paris, and visiting Versailles.

London I know well being a UK bee whose SO lives down there – Cabinet War Rooms have already been mentioned, there are evening trips on the Thames with a meal and dancing, Westminister Abbey is great!

Post # 29
155 posts
Blushing bee

In addition to the excellent advice above, i’d reccomend the following:

London: The Cadogan has an excellent afternoon tea and might be easier to get into/less hectic/more conveienet than any of the other more obvious places for tea. Shopping wise, I’d check out Liberty’s and Fortnum and Masons. <br /><br />Switzerland: It’s a pretty diverse place – is there a particular city? I’d skip Geneva, I was there for study and while I enjoyed it for that reason, there’s not that much that would interest a tourist. That being said, if you do go, check out the Phillipe Patek museum and the Red Cross Museum – honestly one of the best museums i’ve ever been to. Otherwise, Montreaux is pretty and Zurich = Sprungli cafe and Lindt Chocoalte Factory. <br /><br />Italy: There’s already so much good advice, and I would second, third and fourth a trip to Cinque Terre. If you can’t stay in the villages themselves, Genoa is a good place to stop over. As for Venice and Rome. Venice = go to the “Vivaldi Store” and pick up tickets for a concert in a little chapel just off Piazza San Marco. Rome = If there is only one museum you check out, make sure you get tickets to the Villa Borghese. At a push i’d reccomend this over the Vatican. 

The topic ‘3 week trip to Europe for our honeymoon! need help figuring out what to do!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors