(Closed) 3 years later- dropping the hyphen

posted 5 years ago in Names
Post # 2
7310 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2011 - Bed & Breakfast

Actually, to my surprise, I’ve had a change of heart on my name change. We’ve been married for 3.5 years now, and I have decided that I am going to change my last name to Mr. LK’s afterall. I shocked the heck out of him when I told him that I was thinking of making the change. I still haven’t figured out the logistics of it, though. I wish there was a way to keep my maiden name at work, and just change my legal name on my personnel file, but that isn’t possible. That’s my only sticking point that has me contemplating a hyphen. But hyphens are a pain, from what I’ve been told.

Post # 3
2678 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2012 - Southern California

I changed my last name to my husband’s a few months after we got married, but I wish I would have dropped my middle name [that is merely a placeholder/no significance] to my maiden name. I’ve thought about changing it, but I’m not sure if it’s worth the hassle.

View original reply
mrsscb2011:  Do you mind if I ask you what the general process is for you changing your name again?

Post # 4
1084 posts
Bumble bee

I moved my maiden name as a second middle name and took his last name.

at first, I signed everything my first name, my (maiden) middle name, and new (Married) last name)….I have a job that requires lots of signatures…..but as time goes by I just sign my first name initial.middle/maiden initial followed by married/last name. I still have my automatic signature set up with the maiden/middle name….but we’ve been married almost 2 years, and ive come to embrace being Mrs. Last name….and my maiden name is part of my name, and I can I use it and not use it when I please. I’m happy.

Post # 6
774 posts
Busy bee

We have been married almost a year and I haven’t taken his last name yet. Not sure what exactly is holding me back but I guess I am still hesitant to part with that aspect of my identity. Tradition in my family is to drop your middle name altogether and use your maiden name as your new middle name. I will probably end up doing that here soon but probably not until after grad school is over to save on having to change my name everywhere there too.

Post # 8
774 posts
Busy bee

View original reply
mrsscb2011:  Good luck! Starting grad school is fantastic! It’s the 3/4 way through mark where it gets awful 🙂 J/K…kind of. 

The topic ‘3 years later- dropping the hyphen’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors