(Closed) 3 years+ until FI and I are getting married, Dress shopping?

posted 7 years ago in Dress
  • poll: When did you start trying on dresses?
    More than 2 years before the wedding. : (3 votes)
    3 %
    18 months - 2 years before the wedding. : (4 votes)
    4 %
    1 year - 18 months before the wedding. : (51 votes)
    46 %
    6 months to 1 year before the wedding. : (47 votes)
    42 %
    Less than 6 months before the wedding,. : (7 votes)
    6 %
  • Post # 3
    1843 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

I would wait until a year to 18 months out at the earliest.  Between styles changing and your body changing, I would wait.  It would be okay to go try on some dresses, to get an idea of what you like, but I definitely would hold off on a purchase for awhile.

Post # 4
    6572 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: February 2010

I went a year before the wedding. I wouldn’t go any sooner than that, as tempting as it can be! Things will change, styles will change, and if you bought something you’d have way too much time to second guess yourself or find something you like better.

Post # 5
    1529 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: December 2013

I didnt vote because i am in the exact same position we will be engaged a year at the end of the month, and wont be getting married until Jan. of 2014. Believe me i am so tempted to dress shop. A friend and i went to a store where you didnt have to have an appt. and could try on dresses on our own. It was alot of fun, i would never consider buying any of those dresses, but it helped with the urge. I am waiting until i have about a year to go. I am so afraid that what i will choose will be out of style, or seen before.

Post # 6
    3254 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

I bought mine a little less than a year before the wedding. I would suggest you not make a purchase until around that time or I have a feeling we’ll see a “Rethinking my dress” post from you in the future. 😉 I would spend this time looking at magazines and the Internet for styles you like in order to prepare you for shopping in the future. Who knows? Maybe your perfect dress hasn’t even been created yet and will be available next year or the following year!

Post # 7
    9029 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2011

The usual timeline I got from most bridal salons was 7-10 months.  I ordered my dress 8 months before the wedding and it worked out great for me. I would always suggest to wait till atleast 12 months out at the very earliest. In 3 years there will be tons more collections available so I would definitely wait till atleast 2013 to buy your dress

Post # 8
    1351 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: March 2012

I’d wait until about a yr to start shopping as your tastes may change over time!

Post # 10
    3068 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2011

Definately wait so you don’t have dress regret.

Post # 11
    Hostess
    16194 posts
    Honey Beekeeper

I made myself wait until 18 months to actually start shopping. We had a longer engagement, too (28 months).

Post # 12
    562 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: March 2012

I think it’s fine to look around now just to get ideas of fabrics, shapes, etc. But I would go in committed not to buy anything yet. I would wait to purchase until at least a year out–styles will change so much by then that you might end up wanting something completely different. I started shopping around 19 months out, but for the first six months or so, I KNEW I couldn’t buy anything. I was just trying on dresses for fun, at places where I knew I wouldn’t find a dress that I just could not possibly live without (i.e. I didn’t go in anywhere to try on really high-end couture dresses that I was sure to fall in love with, lol). I bought my dress a year out.

Post # 13
    1048 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2011

Don’t buy but there’s nothing wrong with going to David’s and having some fun!  Just go during a weekday morning when there are a ton less people.

Post # 14
    2053 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

Styles change, people change. What is hot and beautiful or seemingly timeless now may not be by the time you are closer to your wedding, and you might just be setting yourself up for a very tough decision having to choose between a dress you find now and a dress you find closer to your wedding. Of course, this is something you might encounter anyway, but I think you’re increasing your chances of that by shopping too early. I know you’re excited, but I’d wait until approximately 12 months before the wedding to start gathering your ideas and approximately 9 months before the wedding to actually start shopping and trying on dresses. 8 months is typically how long it takes for designers and manufacturers to physically make the dress and give you ample time for fittings, and Heavens forbid, any mishaps in shipping or whatnot. So that will give you plenty of wiggle room but also, not be too early. Good luck!

Post # 15
    877 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: April 2011

I would also say wait until at most 12 months before the wedding. I went shopping 18 months before the wedding and got a dress I initially liked. After having it sit in our home until 6 months before the wedding, I had no longer liked that style anymore and ended up getting a new dress. 

Post # 16
    911 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

Girl dont do it! you might get sick of planning your wedding if you start so soon! 🙂 Good luck when you start looking!

The topic ‘3 years+ until FI and I are getting married, Dress shopping?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors