(Closed) 3 yr old Ordering A Steak!?!?

posted 9 years ago in Food
Post # 17
648 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

Another thing: I would worry that if the 3 year old gets the steak and the 5 year old gets chicken strips then the 3 year old will be upset and wonder he/she didn’t get the same. Because every little kid wants to be like the bigger kid.

Post # 18
11324 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2011

I would definitely let this one go. I made it a point to not let my wedding affect any of my personal relationships– even when I think people were being totally stupid. 

Example? I invited a friend with guest. She did not RSVP by the date. She did not respond to the email I sent her inquiring as to her attendance. When I finally caught her online she told me she hadn’t responded yet because she wasn’t sure if she could find a date. I told her I really needed an answer and she told me she was definitely coming alone. Day of? She no-showed. Didn’t call, text, email, facebook, nothing. I haven’t heard from her since. Do I think it was shitty? Absolutely… but I wouldn’t actually confront her about it because why cause drama? In the end the amount of money she cost us by no-showing wasn’t a make-or-break thing and I don’t want negativity surrounding my wedding. 

Point being– I think the parents are kind of rude here, but if your options are let them be rude or risk being rude yourself? I’d just let them be rude and let you be their gracious host. 

Post # 19
10849 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

I have friends who’s little kids favourite meal is seafood linguine with pesto. Ever since their kids have been old enough to eat solid food they’ve been feeding them ‘grown up food’ so that they don’t have to make different meals for everyone at home. It’s a pretty smart idea! Maybe the kid likes steak! My nephew is 3 and he’s a HUGE carnivore. I’m pretty sure if you put half a cow in front of him he’d devour it.

Post # 21
5493 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2011

My parents always fed my brother and I grown up food when we were kids.  There was never a kids’ meal option at my house.  One of the funny stories of our childhood is that when my brother was 5, he got food poisoning from caviar.  Everyone’s reaction is always “what 5 year old eats caviar?!”  My point is, maybe the kid likes steak?  Regardless, I don’t think the $20 is worth an argument.  Just let it go.  You can’t control everything.

Post # 22
47278 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

My opinion depends on the wording for the reception cards. If it appeared that all guests, including the kids, could choose any of the meals, then I think they are entitled to their choice.(Lesson to the rest of us re the wording for the choice of entree).

If, on the other hand it was clear that the adults had a choice but the kids did not, then I would consider accomodating them only if it was an allergy situation or the child really hates chicken.

Otherwise , I would provide the chicken and the parents can feed that little carnivore off their own plate if they choose to do so.

Post # 23
937 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I dont have an opinion or anything… i just would like to hear what the result of this issue is 🙂

Post # 24
7295 posts
Busy Beekeeper

@Always2beAPB:  that is totally a possibilty, that the child has an allergy or refuses to eat chicken for whatever reason.  i didn’t think of it at all until you said it. i was thinking like all the PPs, that they were trying to score a free meal (although for me personally, one steak is plenty!).  i wonder why we all assumed they were so being so incredibly rude and didn’t think outside the box like you just did?!

Post # 26
3638 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

I really don’t think that it is that odd. My parents would certainly have ordered steak for me at that age if that’s what I asked (nicely) for.

Hope it turns out alright, but in the end, it really only is $20.

Post # 27
937 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

@PurpleUnicorn *sits down and starts eating popcorn* 🙂

Post # 28
167 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

considering their other kid isn’t ordering a steak, I doubt the parents are trying to get a freebie. If they were, they’d order the steak for the older child. I think it’s an allergy or food preference for the kid.

Post # 29
553 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

My first thought was that the kid was a picky eater or had gluten allergy or celiac disease.  I don’t think the “opps i don’t know how your kid ended up with chicken tenders is a good idea”. I would definitely call up the parents to see why they selected the steak. Otherwise you may end up with an early walk out from the family if the kid can’t/won’t eat the tenders because the kid would probably get hungry and fussy.

Post # 30
677 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

We have two young guests with gluten allergies so I could totally see their parents ordering them steak instead. And my middle child went through a stage when he was 4 that he wouldn’t eat anything white – chicken was included.

I’d just roll with the steak order personally.

Post # 31
1212 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2012

I would ask the caterers if they can prepare a kids steak meal, with a smaller portion of steak, cut into bite size pieces. That way, its probably cheaper, the kid gets his steak, and you don’t have to worry about the parents trying to be sneaky to get an extra meal. Its Win-Win!

The topic ‘3 yr old Ordering A Steak!?!?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors