(Closed) 30+ Bees: how long did you date your SO before he proposed? (Poll)

posted 7 years ago in 30 Something
  • poll: 30+ Bees: how long did you date your SO before you got engaged?

less than 1 year...why wait!

1-2 years

2-3 years

3+ years

• Post # 31
    9541 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: August 2013

I was 30 when I got married and we had been dating for 6 years and engaged for a year and a half. So we were 4.5 years into dating when we got engaged. I wasn’t in any rush to get engaged – in fact my husband was ready well before I was. We do plan on having a child but haven’t figured out when we’ll start trying to conceive – no rush there either!

Honestly, after dating my college boyfriend, I came to the decision that I would never get engaged to someone I was dating for less than two years. I think it takes at least two years for me to really get to know someone and really be comfortable being myself around someone. I think most people are on their good behavior for the first two years. But that’s me. I know lots of couples that do it more quickly and that works fine for them. 

Post # 32
    1110 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2014

Fiance proposed about 3 years to the day we met.  I’ll be 34 and he’ll be 3 weeks shy of turning 38 when we get married.

Post # 33
    42 posts
    Newbee

View original reply
    CapitolBee:  I voted 3+ years, but my situation was a little different. When I first met my soon to be hubby, I had just gotten out of a 6 year relationship and I was only 22 years old. He really liked me and wanted to be with me right away, but I wasn’t ready for a serious relationship due to my circumstances. So we were really casual for about 2 years (basically friends with benefits) because that is all that I wanted at the time (he wanted more so we did have some issues at times because of that), but eventually after spending so much time with him, I started falling for him and commited to him. So we were in a “serious” relationship for about a year and a half before he proposed, but we had known/been dating each other for about 3.5 years. We’ve now been engaged for over a year and will get married next Saturday 🙂

• This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by  MilaBeth.
    Post # 34
    1643 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: January 2015

View original reply
    CapitolBee:  I’m 29 ( he’s turning 32 next week) and he has given me a “before September timeline” we will have been together 1y 8m if he waits til the last day of August to propose

Post # 35
    1668 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2014

I met Fiance right after I turned 31. We dated for about 9 months before we decided we wanted to get married, though we saved the ring until after I met his parents. By the time we announced our engagement, we had been dating for 1 year and 9 months. On our wedding day we will have been together 2 years and 8 months. 

Post # 36
    2177 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: November 2012

I was 27 when we met, and 31 when we got engaged.  We moved in together after 6 months, though.

Post # 37
    218 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

I’m 35, he’s 41. Started dating when we met, dated for 8 months before he proposed (surprised me), getting married a month after our 1 year anniversary.

Post # 38
    2375 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

5 years, living together for almost 3. I was in the divorce process when we started dating (the divorce process in North Carolina requires a 1 year separation), so I wasn’t in any rush, and neither was he.

Honestly, we both knew we were in a permanent situation, we’re not religious or conservative, so it wasn’t a huge deal. 

Post # 39
    371 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: November 2013

My husband and I were 31 and 34 when we started dating.  Engaged after 5 months, and married 9 months after that.  No waiting for us!:)

Post # 40
    2514 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: February 2015

We knew each other before we started dating.  He asked me out in April, then again at the end of April, then in May, then after my surgery in May and we finally went out.  I do not date for the sake of dating, I would only date if I saw long term potential.  And when I knew it was a no I’d get out of it.  By the end of June I was pretty sure.  In September while on vacation he told me we were going to get married.  I agreed.  When we got home we looked at possible dates and chose one.  He proposed in December (he’d originally planned to wait until February.)  We’ll be a couple months shy of 2 years together when we get married.  

I knew, he knew, our families knew (the weekend he proposed his family had actually taken bets on if we’d come home from our trip engaged.  I was being harassed at work constantly by coworkers to see if he’d proposed.  Everyone knew, not just us) so there was no point in waiting.  We knew we’d need a long engagement to give our overseas guests lots of warning. 

Post # 41
    232 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2014 - Backyard

We were together just under nine years when he proposed. We met in our late 20’s.

Post # 42
    3422 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

We dated for 9 years. Seemed like forever to me lol.

Post # 43
    2492 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

DH and I dated just shy of 9 years before he proposed. Our daughter was also 5 by that time, so he seriouslyyy dragged his feet with it.

We ‘split’ 5 months later, and worked on problems with our relationship (emotional cheating/lack of trust, lack of communication, etc.), but reconciled 16 months later. He wasted no time proposing the second time.

Post # 44
    1052 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2014 - Cedar Lake Cellars

We got engaged right at 3 years.  We’ll be married at 4.5 years and we’ll both be 31 at that time.

Post # 45
    15 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: October 2014

My husband and I are now early 40s (him) and mid 30s (me).  We had known each other through work for about 6.5 years and we dated a little less than 17 months before he proposed.  My wonderful husband could not wait to get married so we eloped about two weeks ago while staying at a resort we had on our list of possible wedding locations…even before my engagement ring had come in (custom order)!  While we didn’t rush into it because we want children, I do think we were more anxious to be married than if we were in our 20s as we want as many years of married life together as possible.

The topic ‘30+ Bees: how long did you date your SO before he proposed? (Poll)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors