(Closed) 30+ Bees: how long did you date your SO before he proposed? (Poll)

posted 7 years ago in 30 Something
  • poll: 30+ Bees: how long did you date your SO before you got engaged?

less than 1 year...why wait!

1-2 years

2-3 years

3+ years

• Post # 61
    1228 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2014

View original reply
    GrannyPantiesRock:  that’s almost exactly my story, except our wedding will be 9 months after the proposal and I will be 32 at the time.

i gave him a timeline after we’d been dating 1 year and 4 months, saying in Jan that I wanted to be married by the end of the year. He proposed in November. I was really getting antsy by that point but hey, now I’m happy!!!

Post # 62
    119 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

View original reply
    CapitolBee:  I must now share I’ve been married twice. The first time my Fiance was 10 years older than me, I was in my 20’s and we were engaged within 5 months of dating. (That being said, he did ask me out for the first time nine months before the first date and we did develop a friendship over that time, all while I was still dating at what my friends and I called a”Professional Level”. I even had a name for my dating theory at the time.)

This time we were dating for almost exactly a year before he proposed. I’m now exactly 10 years older (he’s a few years younger) and I told him long ago when he hinted at an early stage that he wanted forever, if we got there I’d really prefer for it to happen sometime well into our second year. He did his best to wait it out. 

Edited to add that both of these are still a surprised to me, as I always thought I was born to be the female/ more outrageous version of Uncle Travelling Matt. I thought that suspicion was confirmed when I divorced. I just thought there were so few good, loyal men out there who were compatible wih me. I’m so pleased I was wrong and found a great one.  

Post # 63
    505 posts
    Busy bee

View original reply
    CapitolBee:   he proposed a year before we got together lol. I thought we were best friends but he was in a relationship with me years before I knew he loved Mr andwanted a relationship

Post # 64
    949 posts
    Busy bee

I was a few months short of 30 when we got engaged on the evening before our 11th anniversary. We’re getting married a few weeks before my 31st birthday.

Post # 65
    371 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: November 2013

View original reply
    CapitolBee:  We dated for 5 months before being engaged, and were engaged for 9 months before getting married!

Post # 66
    1723 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: December 2014 - 13th ~ TN

View original reply
    CapitolBee:  We didnt date but about 6 months before getting engaged but we are still just engaged and we have been together for 5 and half years.

Post # 67
    505 posts
    Busy bee

Well we were engaged way before ever being in a relationship, when being best friends Lol, honestly. He asked me to marry him at 33 if I was still unmarried. (At the time I was very unaware he was in love with me, wanted a relationship or had been in a one side romantic relationship with me for a year already) I thought it was a best friend pact of sorts. Then when we finally got together in July of last year it was natural, by October he and I knew we were spending our lives together. It accidentally came out then to everyone else. He wanted to keep quiet until he had a ring for me. But we’re are now openly official add of this recent Easter when he gave me a ring. (Lol he handed me a box I thought was a necklace or something and when I asked where this come from he told me in such the cutest way that the Easter Bunny pooped it out and left it in a egg for him to give me) I got a ebn more adorable statement that night when he told me he asked my son that morning to bring me the box, he said my son said no you do it or I’ll tell mommy. So I asked my son why he gave such a hard time and wouldn’t participate and he knocked my socks off with sincere words explaining to me this: “Mommy I said no because he wants to marry you, it’s his ring to ask you, so I knew he should do it all” My fiance didn’t know he understood how it worked and only wanted to include him, but I guess my sons smarter then we know at times. I was so proud of both my favorite men that night. Here’s my ring attached,

Post # 68
    1532 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

We met/started dating when I was 26 and he was 30.  He proposed 3.5 years into our relationship.  At the time, it felt like it took FOREVER before he proposed, but looking back 3.5 years doesn’t seem that long!

We got married around the 5 year mark.

Post # 69
    4889 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: October 2014

It was 3 years and almost 3 months when he proposed. It was really based on whenever my house sold (after I moved in with him), as we were still paying our own bills but living together for the 2 months my place was on the market. Had that sold earlier, it may have been at our 3-year so he had more money to buy a ring and not be in debt. It’ll be a month shy of being together 4 years that we’ll be getting married (this October).

Post # 70
    265 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: February 2015 - Powel Crosley Estate, Sarasota, FL

I’m 30 now, and we dated for 8 years before he proposed. We both wanted to wait until we had purcahsed and house, and we were done with school and in stable careers. All those things take a while to line up! ๐Ÿ™‚ We will have just celebrated our 9th anniversary when we get married – and will spend our 10th year together as a married couple! I can’t wait!

Post # 71
    3088 posts
    Sugar bee

Not engaged yet but he took me to look at rings and I am sure it will be within a year (after we met).

Post # 72
    308 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: April 2015 - City Hall NYC

Got enagaged on our 7 year anniversary…

Post # 73
    72 posts
    Worker bee

We had been dating 16 months. I had been ready since the one year mark, maybe even a little before.

When we met I was 39 and he was 51 . . . now we are 40 (almost 41) and 53 – DEFINITELY over 30 lol. This will the second marriage for both of us. I am divorced and his wife passed away – both of those events happened in 2008, years before we met. We each have a daughter, mine is 9 and his is 12. 

Post # 74
    127 posts
    Blushing bee

he popped the question on our 2 year anniversary we have been living together for a year and a half and I could not be happier. We are getting married next year so that’ll be three years together.

Post # 75
    118 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: March 2015

Fiance proposed after 4 months. Tomorrow will be 6 months since we met! ๐Ÿ™‚

It was perfect timing for us. We also come from a religious community where this is normal, and not “too soon”, so it’s all relative. ๐Ÿ™‚

The topic ‘30+ Bees: how long did you date your SO before he proposed? (Poll)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors