(Closed) 30+ Bees: how long did you date your SO before he proposed? (Poll)

posted 6 years ago in 30 Something
  • poll: 30+ Bees: how long did you date your SO before you got engaged?

less than 1 year...why wait!

1-2 years

2-3 years

3+ years

• Post # 91
    312 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: August 2015

I’m32, he’s 31.  We got engaged 9 months (almost to the day) after we met.  The wedding is almost exactly 1 year after proposal.  So we’ll have known each other a little less than 2 years when we get married, but we’re 1000% sure and we want kids, so the timing works for us.

Post # 92
    174 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: October 2015

7 years. Ages 24-31. And I wasnt waiting nor ready until around 30. I was very much into my career during that time.

Post # 93
    168 posts
    Blushing bee

I got married last month. I’m 30 and my husband is 29, so i guess I fit into the 30+ category of this thread, hehe

My then boyfriend, now husband; barely into the second year of dating, he started talking about marriage…. It wasn’t a long dating time but we were friends for 2 years prior to dating, so we do know each others personality well…. And we live in the same neighborhood, so the distance between his apartment and mine was close.

We are a weird couple, we do not have an engagement. I don’t think I ever get an ‘official’ proposal from him. There was no official sentence of the “Will you marry me” coming out of his mouth….. There was also no engagement ring, I didn’t want one….. He started talking about marriage, so we both talk and decided to get married.

Back in December, we went ring shopping and he bought a pair of gold band wedding rings…. We both wear it eversince, so pretty much he put a ring on his own left finger, telling everyone that he’s taken… In February we get married in at the quick and simple City Hall/Courthouse ceremony.

I don’t know if this count as a proposal. But back then, my husband every couple days he would bring up the sentence: “Baby. If you want, we can go register for marriage tomorrow”…. His “Whenever you ready, I’m just waiting on you” attitude talk…. So maybe this was “his” style of proposing….. But Prffff!! I thought official proposal was asking me to be his wife. What an unromantic of guy he is right? lol

Post # 94
    32 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: October 2015

My FH proposed after dating two years and we’ve had a three year engagement so far.  It will be four years by the time we get married in October! He was much more in a hurry than me, but his work travel made setting a date difficult.  I’ve had so much fun with the planning.  It’s nice not to have a time crunch.  The joy is in the journey!

Post # 95
    67 posts
    Worker bee

10 years!  We met when I was 21/he was 24.  I moved away for grad school about a year after we started dating, and we did long distance for a year and a half after that.  I made the very difficult decision not to come back when I was done with school, and instead spent a few years traveling the country/world starting my career (I’m a musician).  It was one of the hardest things I’d ever done.  Our relationship was amazing, but there weren’t any opportunities in my field where he lived (and wouldn’t ever be), and he wasn’t willing to move if I didn’t already have a job lined up somewhere.  So we broke up, and didn’t have any contact for almost 3 years.  

When my crazy travelling circumstances brought me back home for a few months, we met up for dinner and discovered, to both of our surprise, that we had both been missing each other the whole time…but I was about to start a 10-month contract in South America.  So we did long-distance again for that time, then he joined me down there for another year.

Now we’ve been back in the States – together – for 2 and a half years…He picked up the ring a few days ago, so my long wait should be over soon.  Here’s to second chances. ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 97
    2698 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: March 2015

I met DH when I was 30.5 and he was 36. We corresponded for two months dated for a month and then married. We wanted to be married…lol

Post # 98
    5 posts
    Newbee

This might sound cliché but I’ve known FH for almost 5 years before dating him and we’re bestfriends. Dated for 4 months then got officially engaged shorty after Valentine’s Day. I say “officially” because we knew the first day we became a couple that we wanted to get married. We’ve been involved in each other’s lives so much at that point and our families knew each other. About 3 months into dating, he went to my house to ask my parents for my hand. One month after that, he mock proposed 3 times and when he finally proposed for real my answer was “yeah right” and turned my back on him…until I realized he actually had the ring and that’s when I took him seriously

Post # 99
    3900 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: January 2017

He proposed 3 years and 11 days after we met! We have been living together for like 2 years and 11 months at that point. Yes I moved in with him 1.5 months after we met cause I was crazy! lol ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 100
    1143 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: March 2016

If you want to be a purist, we got engaged in March, which is when we booked our flights and chapel in Vegas. That would be 8 months after we started dating.

But “officially” we are getting engaged this weekend, for our first anniversary. 

People will dissagree, and tell me that we’re already engaged, as the whole point of being engaged is to start planning a wedding, but then again, I don’t care what people say.

Post # 101
    528 posts
    Busy bee

We met and started dating at ages 18 and 19, getting married this fall at ages 30 and 31, so 12 years by the time the wedding comes around.  

Post # 102
    217 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2017

It has been almost 10 years of living together. We will both be 38 by the wedding date. I was the hold-out after a bad first marriage. We don’t want kids, so no issues there.

Post # 103
    340 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: Hans Fahden Vineyards

It will be a little under 20 months for us. I knew I could marry her almost immediately, and decided I couldn’t live without her and feel like me after about 12…the rest has been ring research, custom making, and prep for the proposal ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 104
    854 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2015

We got engaged on our 11 month anniversary. He told me that he was going to marry me after just 2 months but I didn’t believe him then. Or maybe I did, a little bit, lol. 

Post # 105
    3109 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: March 2016 - Surfer\'s Beach, Grand Cayman

2 years and 4 months, he said he knew after about a year and a half that he was ready to marry me and after that was just preparation, he bought us a house and saved for the ring. 

The topic ‘30+ Bees: how long did you date your SO before he proposed? (Poll)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors