(Closed) 30+ Bees: how long did you date your SO before he proposed? (Poll)

posted 6 years ago in 30 Something
  • poll: 30+ Bees: how long did you date your SO before you got engaged?

less than 1 year...why wait!

1-2 years

2-3 years

3+ years

• Post # 106
    620 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2016

It was our 20th month of dating when he proposed.

Post # 107
    305 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: March 2016

We met in 2006 when I was 23 and he was 25 — had 3 kids between then and now – and we will be getting married next year (age 33 & 35) — just a few mos shy of us “dating” for 10 years!! We obviously did things a bit unorthodox! πŸ™‚

Post # 108
    1431 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: November 2016

We met when I was 30 (he is 4.5 years younger than me) and will be married Nov 2016. I’ll be 34 and it will be 2 days after his 30th birthday! 

Post # 109
    5155 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: January 2010

I was 29 when we met (he was 34). We moved in at about 5 months when we moved across the country,  and we were engaged at exactly one year from our first date though that was not intentional! I was 30, he 35 when we got engaged and when we were married about 2 1/2 months later.

We did not get engaged/married due to any urgency to have kids…we are not having them by choice…but it felt right for us. We’d both had relationships before (including living with partners) that had been years long that did not end in marriage, for good reason, but we knew early on we had something different so we felt very much..why wait? No regrets for either of us 5 1/2 years later, still feel we have something pretty special!

Post # 110
    1724 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2016

We started dating in college, and will finally be getting married on our 20th anniversary of being together.  I lurked on the Waiting borads for a while, but not too long after I realized I could live without getting married (it would bother me, sure, but was not a reason to leave), he proposed, and told me he wanted us to get married as soon as we could choose something small, but still what he felt was classy (no courthouse/living room wedding) and afford it.  So we have done the legwork and set a date for May 2016. πŸ™‚

Post # 111
    6245 posts
    Bee Keeper

Less than a year from meeting to engagement.  I’m 38, Fiance is 40.

We met Oct 2014, got engaged ‘officially’ in July 2015, our wedding is June 2016.

So it will be about 18 months from meeting to marriage. 

Post # 112
    305 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: March 2016

We met in 06 when I was 23 and he was 25. I got pregnant a year and a half later in 07… We then went thru a split. Got back together a year or so after that. He quasi proposed to me with a cheerio after we got back together (cutest thing EVER). But we made it official and stared planning a wedding last year — we will be together ALMOST 10 years when we get married and have 3 kids together LOL

ETA — just realized I commented on this one already…. I guess short term memory loss comes in your 30s LOL

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by  KatJoy227.
    Post # 113
    29 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: August 2016

A little over 3 years. We were both previously married and were in no rush to get married, but both made it clear we did want to get married in the future. However we were in the same boat as a few others on here we are in the process of buying a house and thought well its about time πŸ™‚ So we are excited to get married and have the type of wedding we both wanted!

Post # 114
    85 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: November 2017 - 1800s era Church

We have been together 3 years, and we own a house together, so we know we’re in it for the long haul. While he has not officilly proposed yet, we know we are getting married, he already introduces me as his fiance. We were both married before, so we were not in a rush to do it again. 

We talk about our wedding all the time though. And he has said he has a plan for how he will “officially” propose, he just wants to be able to catch me off guard, which is hard to do lol.

ETA: Oh, and I am 32 and he is 33. 

Post # 115
    92 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: September 2015

We got married in just under 9 months, formally engaged a week before we eloped, and started talking about marriage seriously about 2 months in. DH is almost 31, I’m 33.

We’ve both been married before, both brought a child into the relationship, and he was very honest from the beginning that we both had limited free time and shouldn’t waste it if we’re not on the same page about a future together. We never expected things to move so quickly…but it doesn’t even feel fast until we look at it on paper.

We know what we want, know how we feel about eachother, and our goals for the future are completely in line. Nothing has ever felt so easy or right before, so why not?

Post # 116
    564 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: November 2016

I was 35 when we met and just got engaged at 37.  It was just over two years exactly.  Honestly I would have done it much sooner but he is a slow mover and younger than I am and that’s how long it took.  The urgency is of course that we want to have kids, and now are struggling to do a wedding quickly so that we still have time.

His friends all had very long relationships before getting married but yes, they were (and are) much younger.  I made clear to him early on that that was not something I was going to be ok with.  If I was younger I’m sure he would have waited longer.

Post # 117
    51 posts
    Worker bee

My FH and I met maybe 4 years before we started dating? He was just a really cute acquaintance… πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜‰ But then I grew a pair and suggested we grab a drink sometime. ☺️

We started dating a month before I turned 32. He proposed 2.5 years later. I’m 34 now, turning 35 this year.

Post # 118
    210 posts
    Helper bee

Dated 3.5 months, engaged 3.5 months, knew each other about a year on our wedding day. But to be honest I would have married him after knowing him 2 months lol. When you know, you know! 

Post # 119
    142 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: June 2016

LOL.  Um, four months.  He proposed after (almost) four months.  But he also bought the ring two months after we met.

Our wedding will be exactly one year after our first date.  He’s 33.  I’m 31.  We’re both established, we have excellent jobs, and we are both of the age and maturity level where we know what we want (and what we don’t want).  We knew very early on we were special together, and it’s only become better with time. 

Four more months.  Only four more months.  πŸ™‚

Post # 120
    534 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: July 2016

We met when we were 18, dated for two years, broke up – didn’t see one another for a decade, reconnected last year and he proposed after six months. πŸ™‚ By the time we get married this year it will be a year and a half we’ve been together. We’ve had some people say it’s quite quick but in all honesty I think we’ve known one another most of our lives, and we’ve known we were on the same page since our first date. 

I feel like we went full circle and came back round to one another as totally improved versions of ourselves. (Our 18 or 20 year old selves would have never made it!) 

πŸ™‚ 

The topic ‘30+ Bees: how long did you date your SO before he proposed? (Poll)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors