(Closed) 30+ Bees: how long did you date your SO before he proposed? (Poll)

posted 7 years ago in 30 Something
  • poll: 30+ Bees: how long did you date your SO before you got engaged?

less than 1 year...why wait!

1-2 years

2-3 years

3+ years

• Post # 121
    188 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: May 2015

We were together 10 years before he proposed! We were both 33 when got married in May!

Post # 122
    4414 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: December 2016

We started dating as soon as we met, moved in together at 11 months, will be getting engaged near our 2 year anniversary, and married shortly after. I’m 34, he’s 30. My 2nd marriage, his first. We started talking about marriage etc at about the 6 month mark. 

Post # 123
    82 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: August 2016

I met him when I was 26 and he was 24, we didn’t start seeing each other until I was 29, it took us two years before we moved in together, we’ve lived together for four years now and we only just got engaged last week! I’m 36 now and he’s 34. But we are planning on getting married in August, I think it’s a bit late for a long engagment! ๐Ÿ™‚ 

EDIT: We spoke about marriage after six months together but we both went back to school and sadly my dad got ill and died too so there’s been a few setbacks. 

Post # 124
    549 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: Backyard

We were long distance for 9 months before he moved here. He proposed on our one year local anniversary.

Post # 125
    266 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: February 2017

We have been together 9 years, engaged for 1 year and get married on our 10th anniversary. 

We’ve had a complicated journey, not in our relationship, we declared ‘forever’ at 6 months in but oh has/had a lot of issues with marriage, divorced parents and a girl who left him because he didn’t know if he’d want to marry left him a bit scarred. 

We own property and owned a business together we were in it for the long haul, we attempted to conceive starting 3 years ago and have sadly suffered 5 miscarriages, I lost my mum 2.5 years ago, we sold our business, its been a tough ride. But we’ve never wavered in our commitment to one another. Eventually the discussion of marriage as a commitment became more of a discussion of marriage as a celebration of all we’ve endured and all the love, support and happiness we’ve found in our relationship and we decided to get engaged and married. 

Our proposal was such that we went away for a planned weekend, we ordered a ring, we printed off ‘will you be my bridesmaid’ etc cards for intended wedding party and essentially announced our engagement on our anniversary last year. So far its just felt like a positive moving on experience. 

I know its not a conventional story but we’re generally terrible at tradition and sentimentality so this is all very ‘us’. Neither of us are religious and both of us have similar financial situations though so we were never afraid of the financial of religious ramifications of cohabiting unmarriedly. Which we have done for 9 years happily in a tiny one bed flat we’re selling at the minute with our 2 dogs. 

Sorry to go on a bit. I just think it’s important to differentiate dating from committed relationship.

Post # 126
    472 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2016

Just over 2 years. We are getting married the day after our 3 year anniversary. 

Post # 127
    37 posts
    Newbee

We met in Jan 2013 and started hanging out in June 2013, officially started dating 9 November 2013 and he proposed on 17 April 2015.  We are getting married 27 August 2016 ๐Ÿ™‚ So he proposed 17 months after we started dating and we will be married 16 months after he proposed. I am turning 31 this year and he will be 27.

Post # 128
    248 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: April 2016

He proposed after 7 months and we will be getting married on the anniversary of the day he introduced himself to me.  It’s quick, but I never really believed in a long courtship or living together before marriage.  I couldn’t be happier.

Post # 129
    1377 posts
    Bumble bee

View original reply
    CapitolBee:  He proposed around the 4 year mark (I was amost 31). We’re getting married September i’ll be 32 and he’ll be 29. 

Post # 130
    Hostess
    1709 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2015

We got engaged after dating for about 9 months. He was planning to wait until our anniversary but got the ring and couldn’t keep the secret. Our engagement was 18 months. 

I was 30 when we started dating and he was 35. 

Post # 131
    4 posts
    Wannabee
    • Wedding: May 2016

We have been dating since we were in our Jr year in college. He got his cancer diagnosis when we first started dating, and we have been together  and cancer free for 10 years.  I actually was the one that didn’t want to get married.

We have been engaged for about 2.5 years. 

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by  queequeg.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by  queequeg.
    Post # 132
    19 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: December 2012

We had been dating for 2.5 yrs and living together for 1.5 yrs when he proposed. This was my 2nd marriage though and my 3rd engagement, so taking it slower was important for me, as the first time I got married I was only dating my ex for 3 months when we moved in together and together for 8 months when we got married. I was 23 yrs old, we divorced when I was 27. With my first engagement I was only 20, in college and engaged for 2 years, broke it off when I moved overseas and met my 1st husband. My second marriage I was 32, met my husband when I was 28. And now I’ve been with him for 6.5 very happy years (married for 3) and am still very much in love with him. I wouldn’t have it any other way. ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 133
    210 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2015

Sorry, I didn’t actually read the whole question before I answered the poll. We met and immediately started dating at 27, then he moved overseas 2 months later. He moved back and we moved in together 1 year later. Engaged one year after that and married exactly one year later.

Post # 134
    250 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: August 2017

We met when I was 36 and he was 37. We got engaged after 1 year and 10 months, which was on Christmas Eve 2015 ๐Ÿ™‚

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by  happyme123.
    Post # 135
    524 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: November 2014

Engaged after 4 months. Married 11 months later. Have been married 16 months so far. 

I’m 33 and he is 30. 

The topic ‘30+ Bees: how long did you date your SO before he proposed? (Poll)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors