(Closed) 30 day vacancy notice- how to handle it?

posted 5 years ago in Home
Post # 3
2622 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

You never know what could happen, so wait on the notice. It sucks to pay the extra 30 days, but its the safest bet.

Post # 4
12954 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

We plan on not giving notice until after we close on a house.  We are going to use the extra month to get painting done, get furniture delivered, etc before we move all the stuff from our apartment now. 

Post # 5
14419 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

Paying half a month doesn’t sound too bad.  Just think of it as two weeks to take your time with the move.  I’d wait until the closing date is set, then give notice.  Maybe they can prorate the last month if you really don’t want to pay until the end of the month.

Post # 6
12249 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2013

I’m with PP– it sucks, but better safe than sorry! Hold off on the notice.

Post # 9
330 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

I’d rather have a month of overlap, in case something goes wrong, than have to rush it and move everything in 48 hours (like my friends had to do). Besides, won’t you want to clean the place before you move in?

Post # 10
95 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

Transitions always cost money.  Pay it for the peace of mind.

Post # 11
8461 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2013

We just told them our apartment our last day was a week after our closing date.  This gave us enough time to move things without feeling rushed.  We actually closed as planned on our closing date, but from what I understand that is rare.

Post # 12
619 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

@pinkshoes:  I agree with this. Use the time to move without being rushed. You’ll also be able to have bond clean etc done once all the furniture has been removed.

When our lease is up we will be moving to another rental, but I plan on having at least a week’s overlap to make it as easy as possible.

Post # 13
239 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

With us, the first mortgage payment isn’t due until 45 days after closing. So we gave notice after we got the keys, and we will just go from paying the last month of rent to the first mortgage payment with no overlap. The loan people acted like this was the norm.

Whatever you do, don’t give your notice until closing and the keys are in your hands! My coworker got to the day of closing before she was informed about a lein that kept the whole transaction from going through. Good thing she had not given notice!

The topic ‘30 day vacancy notice- how to handle it?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors