(Closed) 30-something brides, what were you doing 10 years ago??

posted 9 years ago in 30 Something
Post # 62
907 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

10 years ago I was 23.  It was my first year out of college and I was working as a reading tutor in an elementary school through AmeriCorps.  I was living in a two-bedroom apartment in my favorite Seattle neighborhood with three girlfriends.  I was full of hopes and dreams and didn’t realize how lucky I was to have so many good friends still living in the same city. That was one of the best years of my life. My grandparents were still alive, I lived near family, and all was well.  I had no idea I’d move thousands of miles away 7 years later and end up meeting the man I would marry in that new city. Here it is, 10 years later, and I’m getting married in a month!  I’ve grown up and learned a lot since I was 23, but I miss certain parts of that girl and that time in my life.

Post # 63
37 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: August 2011

Let us see . . . ten years ago, I was 24 years old.  I was living in Galveston since I was finishing up my degree in occupational therapy.  I was dating a guy who shattered my heart a year later.  We dated for 7 years, and he cheated on me.  It took me awhile to recoup from it but along the way I discovered who I really I am and now I am marrying the guy who complements me in every way.  

Post # 64
74 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

10 years ago I was 19 and working towards my bachelor’s degree. I was in a miserable relatioship with my high school bf that I was desperatley trying to get out of. I feel like I missed out on a lot of high school and college fun because he was so jealous and somewhat controlling. I remember thinking I would never be able to get away from him and get on with my life. I was young and naive in those days, but when he FINALLY left me alone a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders.

I can’t believe how fast time flies!!!! I turn 30 this year and it’s to believe. I still see myself as about 25 🙂

Post # 65
20 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Ten years ago, I would have been 23 & I was in my first year of teaching.  I was living in Columbus, Ohio and had been dating my ex-boyfriend for about a year. 

Little did I know my fate was going to change so drastically in 10 years time – I taught for another year, was then laid off and would not be able to go back to teaching without going back to school to earn another Bachelor’s + start work on my Masters.  (Yay for Ohio & it’s crazy teaching rules & regulations!!! Tongue out)

I dated my ex for another 7 years & thought for sure he was “the One”.  (Pfft!!!) 

I went back to my former employer & worked my way through the chain of command to eventually get offered a once in a lifetime opportunity to work for my employer’s corporate offices in Dallas.  I travelled the almost the entire US setting up new locations, and finally found my gumption to tell my ex it was over if he wouldn’t take our relationship to the next level after being together for 8 years.  I had a couple of flings & saw how piggish & brute a lot men are & really gave up dating for awhile. 

Then I met my fiance and his wonderful family 2 years ago; and for the first time, in my life I am with a wonderful man, who treats me with the honesty and respect that I thought just didn’t exist anymore. Laughing

Post # 66
3519 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

Let’s see… I was 27, had just moved to Virginia and bought my first condo.  I was dating a complete jerk who turned out to be CRAZY… I’m so much better off now!

Post # 67
2739 posts
Sugar bee

10 years ago I was 22. Just finished my second year of law school. Had just broken up with my first boyfriend which, when I think of it, was not the best decision I’d ever made in my life because he was really awesome. I was just a silly immature kid then. Anyhow, I was actually in Italy by this time because I took that summer off to backpack across Europe and visited so many countries I’d probably never go to again. It was fun going to little towns where I swear they’d never seen a black person in real life. I kid you not, Ireland? Denmark? There are probably places in the U.S like that too. I was in NYC, still here. Grinding away as a lawyer.

Post # 68
1641 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

@lezlers:Most of my 20s’ were pretty dark too (more than I am comfortable writing about on here). The worst was fleeing an abusive relationship after losing everything. 10 years ago I was just rebuilding my life.

Now I have a Master’s degree, work for a fabulous nonprofit, live in a nice, safe place and have a great FH!

Post # 69
554 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

10 years ago I was 22, a single mom, and just getting ready to start college. Now I have a college degree, a great profession, 2 wonderful little boys, and an amazing man in my life! I made a lot of mistakes in my 20’s but I learned a lot of life lessons and wouldn’t be where I am today without all that I have been through!

Post # 70
49 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2011

Wow cool thread.  10 years ago, I was 21, single mother of a 4 year old son, living with my grandfather and disabled aunt in a roach and mice infested home in Compton, CA.  My son and I shared a bunk bed with my aunt, we were on the top bed.  I worked for a private company as a Data Entry Manager.  That job was sooooo stressful, I couldn’t stand it.  To make extra money, I did modeling on tv shows. They paid me just to sit in the audience.  I also danced on Soul Train.  I was a hot mess.  I don’t even think I had a boyfriend at that time. 

10 years later, I have a Masters degree, working as a Probation Officer, been with my fiance for 4 years and we own a home.  My son is 14 now, going on 15 in July.  I have to say I am really blessed. 

Post # 71
2050 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Wow, I’m really impressed with all the experiences that everyone has overcome. Congratulations!

Ten years ago I moved back home to NY with my parents after divorcing my increasingly abusive ex. I was working as a receptionist for a real estate company. I was very much alone and trying to rebuild my sense of self and spirit.

Since then I moved across the country and built a beautiful life in California working as an actor and directing my first professional play that opens next month. I have a wonderful Fiance and can’t wait to marry him!

Post # 72
3461 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

I was 21, just about to graduate from college.  Specifically, I was just starting a special week long outdoor trip playing hooky from college (only time, honest!) with a college group.  On that trip, I decided I needed to end my relationship with my then-bf and friend of 3 years.  He agreed (very amicable) but it took a bit of on & off relationship for the next year to make it stick.

Since then…worked, went to law school, dated someone else for 3.5 years (and lived with  that ended with him cheating on me, met current SO and moved in with him after almost 2.5 years.  Post law school I worked for a big law firm, where upon I got bounced out like many others in the recession, and switched careers.

Post # 73
23 posts
Newbee

I was 20, a junior in college, and in relationship hell. Or what I thought was a relationship but was actually a “me being crazily obsessed with a charming guy who was cheating on me behind my back” situation. I had low self-esteem back then and didn’t think I deserved better or would ever find anyone else. I met my SO five years later. Wow, 10 years seems like a lifetime ago! I should mention my tolerance for alcohol was *waaaaaaay* higher back then, too. :p

Post # 74
312 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

Wow 10 years ago I was 20 and had just moved back home after dropping out of college.  I had just gone through a really bad breakup with my first love.  Amazing how at that time I thought he was “the one” and was devestated when I found out he cheated on me. 

My life consisted of working and hanging out with my friends looking for the next man in my life.  I dated a loser of a guy who I got pregnant by.  I had my first son at the tender age of 21 and had to grow up fast.  My life of partying halted and I went back to college and got my Associates degree.  I then started my Bachelors and half way through that degree I found out I was pregnant again (by another loser).  I had twins at the age of 24.  I then started on my Masters but dropped out and decided to get my nursing license instead.

So in the last 10 years I’ve had my heart broken a gazillion times, had 3 wonderful children (2 boys and a girl), gotten my Bachelors degree and a nursing license.  Survived my house being destroyed in a tornado, moving to another house that I did not love, meeting my now Fiance, moving to his house that I also do not love but we’re making it work until we can buy another house.  I’ve also lost my job and thanks to the economy LPNs are not desired right now.

But throughout the last 10 years I had many low points and many years that were the times of my life.  I’m looking forward to many more years of ups and downs, only this time sharing them with my soul mate.

Post # 75
73 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

This is a fun post.. honetly I was in senior year of college, and had never kissed a boy!!!

Post # 76
38 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2011

Fun topic!  

I was 22, working retail security for Strawbridge’s, and I think I had just met the biggest mistake of my life.  I dated him on and off for about 4 years.  Apparently (as I suspected, and was told by many people about it later) he cheated on me repeatedly.  The only good things that came out of it were 3 trips to Vegas and I had my own apartment.  I partied A LOT, mostly with him, and hardly ever hung out with friends.  I was a volunteer firefighter and he hated when I hung out with them.  

I started dating my Fiance in 2004 after we met at a fireman’s parade.  (Technically we knew eachother back in 99, we used to work together, but it was brief, he was married, and I was after someone else.)  The last straw for me was my fire company had a black tie event and the boyfriend decided to work instead.  (It was something he could have easily not done.)  FI showed up at a bar I was at after the event and we exchanged numbers after talking the rest of the night.  I had even invited my boyfriend to meet up with me and my friends after he was done working and he blew me off.  Well….YOUR BAD!  lol  I started talking to Fiance a lot and hanging out with him.  I eventually broke up with the boyfriend and Fiance and I have been together almost 7 years.  

Now we’re getting married in September, I work for 911 (and hate it), and we have a boxer together.  It’s amazing what a different person I’ve become in 10 years.  I’m more confident and secure (although I still have some trust issues thanks to idiot).  Now the next 10 years will be focused on starting a family and changing my career or starting a business.  I can’t wait!!

The topic ‘30-something brides, what were you doing 10 years ago??’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors